Manganese chloride tetrahydratet

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have read a couple of threads about diy manganese in the form of Manganese chloride tetrahydratet but am struggling to wrap my head around how much to dose.

this is a recipe I copied from randy
1g in 2.8L of water gives 100mg/L

I am trying to figure out how much to add to achieve 2ug/L in a 550L tank

all this talk of ug ng mg us gallons in the threads is sending me dizzy

hoping someone can help with this

thanks in advance

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your solution is 100mg/L=100,000 ug/L
your target is 2ug/L in a 550L volume.

100,000ug/L*X (in liters)=2ug/L*550L
Without the units so solving for X is easier to see, this is 100,000*X=1100

X (in Liters)= 1100ug/100,000ug/L or 0.011 L

0.011 L is 11 ml.

So you would need 11ml of your solution if the current concentration in the system is 0 or close to it.

I'm no RHF but I'm pretty sure the math above is correct.

OP
OP
anth

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your solution is 100mg/L=100,000 ug/L
your target is 2ug/L in a 550L volume.

100,000ug/L*X (in liters)=2ug/L*550L
Without the units so solving for X is easier to see, this is 100,000*X=1100

X (in Liters)= 1100ug/100,000ug/L or 0.011 L

0.011 L is 11 ml.

So you would need 11ml of your solution if the current concentration in the system is 0 or close to it.

I'm no RHF but I'm pretty sure the math above is correct.
Thank you
I will read this properly when i get some time later. I need to learn how to make these calculations myself as i plan on doing it for all elements eventually.

thanks
Anth

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a handy calculator that will help with basic dilutions.

Its easy to make a mistake converting units, as you said previously, ug to ng to mg/l or ml can be confusing, this calculator should help keep things straight as it will do the conversion for you.

One thing to consider is that if you current concentration is above zero, you should factor that in when figuring how much to add to reach your target.

for example, if your current manganese level were 0.1ug/L and you wanted to increase that to 2ug/L as you target above, you would want to increase it by 1.9 ug/L and to do that would only add 10.45ml of your solution.

What I don't know is which elements can be dangerous to overdose by this small margin of error, but it's important to be cautious in this regard as learning the hard way can be painful and expensive.

OP
OP
anth

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a handy calculator that will help with basic dilutions.

Its easy to make a mistake converting units, as you said previously, ug to ng to mg/l or ml can be confusing, this calculator should help keep things straight as it will do the conversion for you.

One thing to consider is that if you current concentration is above zero, you should factor that in when figuring how much to add to reach your target.

for example, if your current manganese level were 0.1ug/L and you wanted to increase that to 2ug/L as you target above, you would want to increase it by 1.9 ug/L and to do that would only add 10.45ml of your solution.

What I don't know is which elements can be dangerous to overdose by this small margin of error, but it's important to be cautious in this regard as learning the hard way can be painful and expensive.
Thats great thanks, i have been going down the diy route for a while now and understand what your saying. I am doing icp tests and am trying to use them to determine maintenance dosing on certain elements. This site has proven invaluable with people like yourself and RHF always willing to help with the calculations and such. Next on the agenda i need to learn how to do them myself and stop pestering people on here lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back