Mangrove in fresh water with nutrients?

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've been considering getting some small mangroves and growing them out in fresh water. I've heard they grow faster this way, then I'd transplant them into a tank and very slowly raise the salinity over time. My question is, for those of you who've grown them out in fresh water, did you add anything (nitrates/phosphate/fertilizer?) to the water or was it just a bucket of tap water? Trying to get a gauge on the simplicity of growing out a mini tree with aerial roots...

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew mine out for about a year in freshwater. I live in Tampa, Fl so I collected them one day on the beach. I didn’t give them a lot of attentio. I grew them outside in a five gallon bucke. I do recall adding some liquid fertilizer once or twice and I did prune one of them which made for a fuller tree. Once I set up my tank I planted them in the aquarium and filled it with rodi and slowly raised the salinity weekly over a month. When I did a water change in one of my other tanks I just removed about a gallon of rodi and replaced it with my water from the water change. Here is a picture of them in my tank. The picture is about a month old.
D509CA3F-49D9-42E6-83F3-6C3E2A9AF93E.jpeg
9780331E-AEA3-41FA-8F9A-72878CC23AA3.jpeg

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew mine out for about a year in freshwater. I live in Tampa, Fl so I collected them one day on the beach. I didn’t give them a lot of attentio. I grew them outside in a five gallon bucke. I do recall adding some liquid fertilizer once or twice and I did prune one of them which made for a fuller tree. Once I set up my tank I planted them in the aquarium and filled it with rodi and slowly raised the salinity weekly over a month. When I did a water change in one of my other tanks I just removed about a gallon of rodi and replaced it with my water from the water change. Here is a picture of them in my tank. The picture is about a month old.
D509CA3F-49D9-42E6-83F3-6C3E2A9AF93E.jpeg
9780331E-AEA3-41FA-8F9A-72878CC23AA3.jpeg
Super helpful, thanks! Great job, they look great in your tank. I might look for some liquid fertilizer...

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had mine in my endler breeding tank for about 6 months now and has grown like 4 ish leaves

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back