Manifold Worth the Cost?

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are manifolds worth the cost or are media bags sufficient? I'm planning on hard plumbing the return line on my tank with manifolds or just using a flexible tube to go straight from my pump to the return.

The manifolds just seem very pricey - pvc cutter + glue + primer + pipe + fittings + valves - add up quickly. Using prices on BRS, I think the plumbing will cost me abut $200 for 3 manifolds. Then I need to get reactors since I plan to do GFO and carbon at least.

With media bags, I probably will run through media more or at least get less out of them but it's not like I'll run them 24/7. Something to note is that I have the Red Sea tank and plan to use the ATO as a refugium. Without a manifold, I'd need a return pump to feed the ATO. Still a lot less pricey.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love, love, love the versatility (and room for future expansion/options) that manifolds provide. I have a variable return pump from the sump, and the return water passes by five (5) manifolds before it hits the display tank. Four “Ts” coming off the main return pipe have a gate valve, for precise control; one has a more basic (cheaper) ball valve. Currently I ‘power’ a recirculating skimmer, a BRS dual reactor, an algae scrubber, and with the ball valve, one manifold to quickly draw off water-change water as needed. That leaves one manifold free to, add another reactor, etc. My pump is far from cranked-up— meaning I can jack up the return flow to ‘power’ almost anything I’d ever need to.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I upgraded the sump, I installed manifolds and very happy I did. They are extremely versatile and I love them, definitely worth the cost. Gives you room/flexibility to add equipment down the road, I use one of them to do easier water changes. I just regret not adding more manifolds.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first problem is trying to buy PVC from BRS and not the hardware store. You don’t need a PVC cutter any saw will do. In fact I don’t like the cutters at all. The most expensive part would be the values the rest is cheap. T’s are less then a dollar each and you can get 10ft of pipe for a few dollars.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree about using run-of-the-mill (cheap) PVC. But without a pipe cutter I would have just drowned myself in my own tank (lol!) ;)

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 inch PVC

Pipe 5’ $2.60
Union $4.69(3)=14.07
Tee $0.69(3)=$2.07
PVC primer $3.29
PVC cement $2.59
Gate valve 13.30(3)=$39.90

So $65 let’s say and that’s bigger pipe and fittings then what you need so it will cost a bit less. Throw in a cap, barb fitting, and coupler you should be looking at no more then $100 max.

47720197-0090-4FAA-B42B-84EF75FED9EA.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go ahead with a manifold - 3 of them. I have a PVC cutter now which I got for $10 on Amazon.

Are these the PVC bonds I want?
1. Primer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L8DMKQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
2. Cemet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00113SKR0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The reason I look at BRS PVC is that I didn't know if all PVC were the same and if they weren't I just wanted to be safe knowing BRS would sell marine grade ones. I also like the colors lol. If buying PVC from a place that is not an aquarium store, are there certain PVC materials I should avoid or go for? Or are they all of the same? Sorry for the dumb questions! I've never plumbed anything.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any big box hardware store will be fine. Just wash the pipe with water. Regular PVC is what you want. You don’t need CPVC that stuff is rated for hot water.

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go ahead with a manifold - 3 of them. I have a PVC cutter now which I got for $10 on Amazon.

Are these the PVC bonds I want?
1. Primer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L8DMKQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
2. Cemet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00113SKR0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The reason I look at BRS PVC is that I didn't know if all PVC were the same and if they weren't I just wanted to be safe knowing BRS would sell marine grade ones. I also like the colors lol. If buying PVC from a place that is not an aquarium store, are there certain PVC materials I should avoid or go for? Or are they all of the same? Sorry for the dumb questions! I've never plumbed anything.

Yes that’s the right stuff

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back