Manny's Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not make the RO yourself? With that big white storage tank your getting it be easy to let it run half a day for two or three days. I would not trust someone else's RO for that quantity, I would want some fresh filters.

I would also suggest not mixing the salt I side the tank. It can be hard to dissolve it all that way and you could end up with pockets of salt all over.

Finally I would fill the tank with tap water or your RO waste water for leak checking before filling with your final salt water, just incase you have a leak that requires draining, and also to wash away any last bit of manufacturing and shipping chemicals.

Sorry if I am overstepping here, I think you may have been doing this longer then me, these are just the thoughts I had when you said LFS was bringing RO water.

Full disclosure my first tank was filled with the saltwater from the LFS that had been in it for years already. My second tank I filled myself with homemade RO/DI mixed with salt in 5 gallon buckets, heated and aerated for 24 hours.
Good points. In my case I decided to make my own mostly because I want to dry aquascape and take my time. I intended to fill with RO first as well for the leak test (IMO if the tank leaks I’ll have a much bigger problem than wasted water). However, I did recently mix salt in my 20g QT and you’re right; it was really difficult to get it all to dissolve which was easy to see with a bare bottom. I wouldn’t want pockets of salt on the sand or rocks. Here’s an idea though; mix in the sump with the return pumps off. Then once fully dissolved mix it with the rest of the tank and repeat in batches.

I don’t want to leak test with 200g of intentionally wasted water, but I don’t want to do it with salt water either. But I guess the other side is that beyond leaks, there’s a chance the leveling could change with the extra weight too. The DI waste water is a decent idea but I don’t think I could make that work practically. Quite the conundrum.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can’t believe people still buy these with all the failures! Good luck :)
Ya there is a lot of things people do that I can't believe they do.

Look at all of these car recalls here yet people are still silly enough to buy them. https://www.cars.com/news/recalls/ Honda has 725,000 on their pilot, Ford has 115,000 recalls on the broncos, VW over 54,000, Toyota Camry over 227,000, etc.

Even worse, can you believe people still purchase baby strollers despite their multiple recalls? https://www.consumeraffairs.com/baby-stroller-recalls. Did you know that children's car seats have expiration dates on them and people still use them past expiration? Good God, better off not purchasing these products at all being that they all seemingly get recalled eventually.

Doesn't translate to the aquarium world? Wrong. It sure does. Remember all of the first batches of Ecotech Radions G5 having the housing issues? Remember all of the calibration problems with the first batches of Tridents? Alkatronic? Reefbot? What about all of those Vertex skimmers with the air intake issues? Wet side issues on the ecotech pumps? Issues with the neptunes WAVs - remember those?

So what is the solution? Easy! You simply don't buy saltwater fish. Afterall, they are better left in the ocean than inside a glass box in our homes.

As for me, I purchased ecotech pumps after the company acknowledged their issues. I purchased WAV pumps after the company acknowledged the issue. I purchased the trident after the company acknowledged the issue. The stroller I just purchased no longer has a design defect that its former model had. The car seat I purchased no longer has the design defect that its former model had. The Jeep Gladiator I purchased does not have the design defect that its former model had. And best yet, the 750 XXL no longer has the design defect that its former model previously had.

Can you believe this? Some people. What is this world coming to? People spending their own money on things they personally want. What a dang shame. But what can I say? I must be a rule breaker for spending my own money how I want. I'll keep you in mind next time and try to limit my spending to how those on internet forums would approve of.

Wait. Do you at least approve of my sofas? Because I will absolutely stop this build if you do not approve of my furniture choice. Yes they are Chinese made and yes I can't believe people still buy Chinese made things after Covid and all but . . . alright alright. I'll stop.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why not make the RO yourself? With that big white storage tank your getting it be easy to let it run half a day for two or three days. I would not trust someone else's RO for that quantity, I would want some fresh filters.

I would also suggest not mixing the salt I side the tank. It can be hard to dissolve it all that way and you could end up with pockets of salt all over.

Finally I would fill the tank with tap water or your RO waste water for leak checking before filling with your final salt water, just incase you have a leak that requires draining, and also to wash away any last bit of manufacturing and shipping chemicals.

Sorry if I am overstepping here, I think you may have been doing this longer then me, these are just the thoughts I had when you said LFS was bringing RO water.

Full disclosure my first tank was filled with the saltwater from the LFS that had been in it for years already. My second tank I filled myself with homemade RO/DI mixed with salt in 5 gallon buckets, heated and aerated for 24 hours.
I could mix my own RO water. I could run a line from my garage to the tank and let those hoses run across the house for a day and a half. Or, I could come home from work and already have it filled by my LFS. The real question is do you trust your LFS to do the right thing? I have lots of faith in my LFS. Most of their plumbing is in the basement. I have personally been in the basement and seen the RODI units. I have seen new and dirty filters alike in the basement. I have enough trust in my LFS owner to share my concern about receiving clean water and request that he ensure I am getting 0 TDS water. I even offered to buy the new filters for him just to ensure I was getting pure water. For a nearly $13k purchase, he is more than ok swapping out his RODI filters on his own dime and bringing me clean water. I wouldn't trust just any LFS. However, this one I do.

Mixing salt in the tank: I've gone both routes. I haven't had an issue with any. I typically take my time to pour in salt slowly with high flow in the aquarium. I've had success this way before as well as adding already premixed salt water. My mixing bins are out 10 weeks so those are not available to me yet.

As for filling with tap water - ya I'm not gonna do that. I'm gonna let the LFS guys come in, fill with water, and if a leak is discovered, let them deal with the leak. They are professionals. They know quite well to leak test a tank. There is a point to paying others to do things for you: to not do things yourself. I am a busy person. I've got a busy career. I have gotten my hands wet and dirty with this hobby over the near decade I've been doing this. Fortunately, I am in the position I am in right now to have a team of professionals do the dirty work for me. That doesn't mean that they won't take the necessary precautions to ensure everything is plugged in and working properly. They are professionals after all. And if the tank starts leaking once they start filling it, guess what? They are coming right back to work on the issue. I have a sicce utility pump and a python to drain the tank if needed. However, we're getting ahead of ourselves. Let's be optimistic about this tank, not pessimistic. I'm sure it'll hold water just fine. If and when remedial measures are needed, they'll be available.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya there is a lot of things people do that I can't believe they do.

Look at all of these car recalls here yet people are still silly enough to buy them. https://www.cars.com/news/recalls/ Honda has 725,000 on their pilot, Ford has 115,000 recalls on the broncos, VW over 54,000, Toyota Camry over 227,000, etc.

Even worse, can you believe people still purchase baby strollers despite their multiple recalls? https://www.consumeraffairs.com/baby-stroller-recalls. Did you know that children's car seats have expiration dates on them and people still use them past expiration? Good God, better off not purchasing these products at all being that they all seemingly get recalled eventually.

Doesn't translate to the aquarium world? Wrong. It sure does. Remember all of the first batches of Ecotech Radions G5 having the housing issues? Remember all of the calibration problems with the first batches of Tridents? Alkatronic? Reefbot? What about all of those Vertex skimmers with the air intake issues? Wet side issues on the ecotech pumps? Issues with the neptunes WAVs - remember those?

So what is the solution? Easy! You simply don't buy saltwater fish. Afterall, they are better left in the ocean than inside a glass box in our homes.

As for me, I purchased ecotech pumps after the company acknowledged their issues. I purchased WAV pumps after the company acknowledged the issue. I purchased the trident after the company acknowledged the issue. The stroller I just purchased no longer has a design defect that its former model had. The car seat I purchased no longer has the design defect that its former model had. The Jeep Gladiator I purchased does not have the design defect that its former model had. And best yet, the 750 XXL no longer has the design defect that its former model previously had.

Can you believe this? Some people. What is this world coming to? People spending their own money on things they personally want. What a dang shame. But what can I say? I must be a rule breaker for spending my own money how I want. I'll keep you in mind next time and try to limit my spending to how those on internet forums would approve of.

Wait. Do you at least approve of my sofas? Because I will absolutely stop this build if you do not approve of my furniture choice. Yes they are Chinese made and yes I can't believe people still buy Chinese made things after Covid and all but . . . alright alright. I'll stop.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

I just hope the tank doesn’t fail is all,
It’s also a game of %, there are much fewer aquariums out there than cars :)

Also equipment failure doesn’t dump 180 gallons on the floor :)

Bad analogy, good luck!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea 750XXL v3 has a lot of improvements: thicker glass, reinforced corners, redesigned stand with a 2" steel support lip on the front (something not mentioned) and the aforementioned aluminum support strut in the cabinet.

Mixing salt in the tank is perfectly fine; anyone who suggests you can't do it has obviously never tried it.

It sounds like you have a very reputable LFS. My LFS also helped me out with my tank (moving, etc.), so if you can avail yourself of them I say more power to you.

I also have a Sicce utility pump and Python - works great for draining anything (sump, tank), topping up the RO or water changes.

The tank isn't going to fail. The issues Red Sea had with a few of their tank models (625, 750, 900) were several years ago and all were subsequently redesigned.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just hope the tank doesn’t fail is all,
It’s also a game of %, there are much fewer aquariums out there than cars :)

Also equipment failure doesn’t dump 180 gallons on the floor :)

Bad analogy, good luck!
(In my best Beavis and Butthead voice) uhh. . . dude. . . it's actually 160 gallons.

Lol. I gotcha. And I appreciate the concern. For what it's worth, the issue with the first version of the 750 xxl was that the stand did not have a center brace. Eventually, the stand would bow and give way under the weight of the aquarium. Red Sea started sending out attachable braces then. I have the third generation of the 750. My LFS has a first gen and its been up and running for I think close to a decade now. Still running strong with the attachable brace.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Red Sea 750XXL v3 has a lot of improvements: thicker glass, reinforced corners, redesigned stand with a 2" steel support lip on the front (something not mentioned) and the aforementioned aluminum support strut in the cabinet.

Mixing salt in the tank is perfectly fine; anyone who suggests you can't do it has obviously never tried it.

It sounds like you have a very reputable LFS. My LFS also helped me out with my tank (moving, etc.), so if you can avail yourself of them I say more power to you.

I also have a Sicce utility pump and Python - works great for draining anything (sump, tank), topping up the RO or water changes.

The tank isn't going to fail. The issues Red Sea had with a few of their tank models (625, 750, 900) were several years ago and all were subsequently redesigned.
You smell that??? No its not gas. Its optimism in the air! Love it. Let's share some more of it.

I'm a very sarcastic person. Hope the other messages portray sarcasm instead of rudeness.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You smell that??? No its not gas. Its optimism in the air! Love it. Let's share some more of it.

I'm a very sarcastic person. Hope the other messages portray sarcasm instead of rudeness.
Absolutely! I know a local gentleman who had one of the older 750s that did crack and leak (no lost fish), and Red Sea did replace his tank free with the new v3 version. He filled me in on some of the improvements and I did all my research prior. With the addition of that steel lip I don’t think they even need the support from that aluminum strut, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have it.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frustrating news. Reached out to the LFS owner to request an update. He says that he just got done requesting an update as well. Apparently the excuse this time was the the people over at Red Sea now said that the person in charge of handling this situation had a death in the family and was out for a week. Allegedly, he will get right to it now that he is back. If this is true then I am sorry for their loss. However, it's been excuse after excuse so far and its getting hard to believe all of these excuses. Anyone know who we can tag in this thread to get Red Sea's attention?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustrating news. Reached out to the LFS owner to request an update. He says that he just got done requesting an update as well. Apparently the excuse this time was the the people over at Red Sea now said that the person in charge of handling this situation had a death in the family and was out for a week. Allegedly, he will get right to it now that he is back. If this is true then I am sorry for their loss. However, it's been excuse after excuse so far and its getting hard to believe all of these excuses. Anyone know who we can tag in this thread to get Red Sea's attention?
It’s definitely frustrating especially given the amount of money spent. However, don’t they say patience is everything in this hobby? ;). It sounds like your LFS is on it and I’m sure they value your current and future business so hopefully they’ll stay on Red Sea. I’ve reached out through their web form a few times and always got an answer within a few days; those folks might not be able to help you but that’s worth a shot. You could also try reaching out publicly via social media; it looks like they have a Facebook group and page. I’ve found companies very responsive by Twitter sometimes but doesn’t look like they have one. Try to get your Red Sea invoice number from the store. Otherwise I’d say a serenity prayer and just realize you’re doing as much as you can. It’s disappointing, but it’ll all be worth it over the next decade.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tis the season for delays. I was hoping to see some advancement. You may get those mixing bins before the tank, then you can stop being so lazy and do some work yourself ;):p

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tis the season for delays. I was hoping to see some advancement. You may get those mixing bins before the tank, then you can stop being so lazy and do some work yourself ;):p
I could do some work myself, but then again, what good is money for if not for making others do things for you???? Ask Mr. Bezos for confirmation on that one. [I forgot. Let me add an emoji to make my comment 100% acceptable ;):)]

Seriously though, what about my build thread is it that attracted the pessimists? That's like 3 in a row that randomly flocked to my thread. I thought that R2R was supposed to be the optimistic version of Reef Central. Must have been wrong on that assumption.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On a brighter note, the tank will arrive today. I contacted Red Sea directly and they were able to provide me with tracking info. They shipped last Thursday using RL carriers. Tank is scheduled to arrive today.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a brighter note, the tank will arrive today. I contacted Red Sea directly and they were able to provide me with tracking info. They shipped last Thursday using RL carriers. Tank is scheduled to arrive today.
Good news on the replacement tank! Finally something positive in this build.

My first post about making the water was not supposed to be pessimistic, and I was even sure to add that you probably have way more experience then me, in an attempt not to offend.

My post about doing some of the work yourself was meant to be a sarcastic/funny response.

I am a business owner, so I am no stranger to paying people to do things, and if you re read my 1st post about making the water yourself, you will see that I also paid an LFS to bring me prepared water.

Sorry to make you feel bad, and I did not want to crap up your build thread. If you like I can try to edit all my posts so your build thread looks nicer, let me know. I don't want to just go and do it so it without your permission or it would end up looking like your talking to yourself

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good news on the replacement tank! Finally something positive in this build.

My first post about making the water was not supposed to be pessimistic, and I was even sure to add that you probably have way more experience then me, in an attempt not to offend.

My post about doing some of the work yourself was meant to be a sarcastic/funny response.

I am a business owner, so I am no stranger to paying people to do things, and if you re read my 1st post about making the water yourself, you will see that I also paid an LFS to bring me prepared water.

Sorry to make you feel bad, and I did not want to crap up your build thread. If you like I can try to edit all my posts so your build thread looks nicer, let me know. I don't want to just go and do it so it without your permission or it would end up looking like your talking to yourself
ya that would be goofy wouldn’t it. Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. I didn’t know how to take it. And I didn’t make the connection you’re the same one who gave the water suggestion. No need to edit anything. Again, I appreciate the clarification.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright let’s try this again. Tank has arrived.
EE180008-3F31-43AA-81A5-0F259B0A7B1F.jpeg

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome on the tank delivery!

What’s your plan for mechanical filtration? It doesn’t seem like there are any great options here. Felt filter socks are supposed to be changed every 3 days (a problem for even a short vacation). Filter cups with floss clog just as or more easily from what I’m reading. The mesh bags it comes with don’t seem to trap much of anything and the sump gets super dirty as well with decaying debris (again from what I’m reading, I’ve never had a sump before). Filter mat on top of the cups is an option too and can be super easily changed, but still needs to be done frequently.

As for roller mats there seem to be two main options on R2R. A compact Theiling that only requires plumbing mods but can only handle 500gph max. And a big Clarisea that requires both cutting out the filter sock holders and a decently challenging plumbing mod.

So I’m thinking about trying the Clarisea below. What’s your plan?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking about trying the Clarisea below. What’s your plan?
NM. Folks are saying they replace the rolls every 4-6 weeks on this tank and I just looked up the price: $34! That’s $300-400/yr for fleece that’s worth penny’s. Definitely not going that route.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NM. Folks are saying they replace the rolls every 4-6 weeks on this tank and I just looked up the price: $34! That’s $300-400/yr for fleece that’s worth penny’s. Definitely not going that route.
Ya I'm not going that route either. I stocked up on filter socks during the black friday sale. I know the BRS guys like to act like changing filter socks out twice a week is a crazy amount of work but its really not. I've never struggled to keep up with changing them out. Literally I get into a routine where Monday and Friday after I wake up, before showering, I walk downstairs, pull them out, put new ones in, and jump in the shower. It's a simple portion of my routine. And way cheaper than $300-400 a year in supply.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not gonna lie, this thought comment has been on my mind ever since I read it. Ideally, the LFS guys would bring me freshly mixed water with brand new filters. The more I think I about it though the more I worry about their system. I offered to buy new filters for the LFS but now I wonder if I just sounded like a Karen to him. I would hope not as I like to think of the owner as a friend. Even with all of that said, I am leaning more and more towards filling the tank myself with my own RO unit. Just makes sense to get rid of any lingering doubts right?

I'm really glad you brought this up as I would have blindly trusted the LFS. They have not given me cause to doubt them but if I can remove all doubts all together then why not. They'll be here this afternoon to swap the tanks and install the plumbing. I think I'm going to call him now and tell him not to fill the water jugs, if he hasn't already.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back