Mantis hitchhiker ID and sump?

George Villasenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this little guy in a buddies tank, he did not want him, so I bagged him up and I was wondering if I can keep him in my sump? Also, perhaps an ID? Sorry about the photos, done from the phone. If i cant keep the little guy in the sump, I can let him go to anyone that wants him in the northridge area of los angeles.

little devil.JPG smol mantis.JPG

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason you can't keep him in the sump. Just make sure he has a place to hide and gets enough food. Can't ID from those pics though.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see there being a reason he cant be in the sump. Assuming there wont be any other critters in the sump, he gets fed, and you're careful about putting your hands down there

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is Gonodactylaceus falcatus, Philippine Mantis Shrimp. They come in a variety of colors and can even change colors after shedding. It won't get much larger than that. It definitely can and will eat small crabs, shrimps, and other shellfish. The sump should be fine as long as it can't escape and as long as it doesn't have anything you don't want to be dead.

Back