Mantis ID

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. This might be hard. I don't have a GOOD picture - I just discovered this 3" girl this afternoon. She must've come in on live rock about 2 months ago. I spotted her in a hole in my rock but I also have burrows under other rocks. Coloring is purple/blue/dark body with orange on the distal end of the legs (far end). Unfortunately right now that's all I got. The rock was from Tampa Bay Saltwater so gulf of Mexico. All of my live rock came in the same shipment(s) in mid-June.

First sighting:
2017 August 17 MANTIS SHRIMP.jpg

Body shot:
2017 Aug 17 mantis 3.jpg

She took target fed piece of clam.
2017 Aug 17 mantis 2.jpg

Very bad but I tried to get a look at her front appendages. Not sure if this is helpful or not.
2017 Aug 17 mantis appendage - bad.jpg

Any identification, even guesses, would be welcome. If she's a small species I'll set up a species specific tank. If she's gonna get too big she'll be up for adoption.

Thanks.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen it again? Do you have other livestock in the tank? I have seen other people with mantis only tanks. They are interesting. But not if you wanted other things in the tank. Lol.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen it again? Do you have other livestock in the tank? I have seen other people with mantis only tanks. They are interesting. But not if you wanted other things in the tank. Lol.

I have seen her several times since the first time. Never a great look, though. I pulled out my fish (only one, it's new and nano) and am trying to decide what to do with the tank now.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen her several times since the first time. Never a great look, though. I pulled out my fish (only one, it's new and nano) and am trying to decide what to do with the tank now.

Mantis tank!

Lol, it's probably a wrennae (sp?) Tampa bay sw tends to have a lot of them from what I've heard.

Check the reefcentral mantis subforum for a better id. It's the only reason I still check RC.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back