Mantis in a 28 Nano

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get a peacock, and hear BOTH versions of glass no no's.
I will be putting eggcrate on the bottom with a 2-3"sandbed for it. Picking up a 28 PnP nano for $200 so I cannot turn down the price. I hear MOSTLY that it will ONLY break glass when it initially digs its burrow, so lining with plexi and/eggcrate is going to happen. THOUGHTS????????

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. I've owned a couple mantis and they have never tried to smash the glass.

FishBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern is the manufacture date of the nanocube, the older ones had issues with the glass cracking on its own just from the water pressure, combine that with the potential of a mantis smacking the glass accidentally one day while hunting, would make me a little nervous. Otherwise, no, the whole mantis smashing glass for fun is more of an urban legend than anything, of course there will be the remote few that actually did have an incident that will make it out like its going to happen to everyone that tries keeping them.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept two large O. Scyllarus in a thin glass tank with no issues. They will smack it and make you think it's going to break but the chances are slim.

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get the smallest peacock u can find they can break glass when they reach around 4inches, so id trade it in for a smaller one once it reaches this size. id also put pvc pipe in there of several diff widths for it to choose from to hid/make home in. i also would reccomend a thick acrylic tank instead of glass. heres a good link for mantis shrimp info Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get the smallest peacock u can find they can break glass when they reach around 4inches, so id trade it in for a smaller one once it reaches this size. id also put pvc pipe in there of several diff widths for it to choose from to hid/make home in. i also would reccomend a thick acrylic tank instead of glass. heres a good link for mantis shrimp info Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

Its not easy finding one smaller than 4 inches. I've been looking for years for one smaller than that and they just don't come around often. Mine were both over 5 inches and neither broke glass and I have yet to read someone's mantis breaking glass. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it's not really that likely.

Honestly, I haven't seen too many people that have kept O. Scyllarus for a long period of time so it's not my #1 choice for stomatopods. A G. smithii or O. havanensis would be my top choices for being active/hardy and for that size aquarium.

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not easy finding one smaller than 4 inches. I've been looking for years for one smaller than that and they just don't come around often. Mine were both over 5 inches and neither broke glass and I have yet to read someone's mantis breaking glass. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it's not really that likely.

Honestly, I haven't seen too many people that have kept O. Scyllarus for a long period of time so it's not my #1 choice for stomatopods. A G. smithii or O. havanensis would be my top choices for being active/hardy and for that size aquarium.

i dont know how hard it is to find small ones but they have them around here, just saw a 2 incher several months ago at a store in costa mesa, ca. i know they sell them on web sites that have size ranges u can choose from. i would just rather be safe then sorry if i was pmgaudio. u hear people saying they have broken their tanks and u hear of people that say they have never had a problem, but i figure why risk it and waste 100's of bucks if they do break it. i agree with u on the smithii. i had one for several years until it died and have been lookin for one ever since. nobody seems to be able to find any around here and ive requested one on several websites and still no luck :/

OP
OP
pmgaudio

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O. havanensis it might be. I have acquired a 29G JBJ (Acrylic! YAY!!) and will maybe stock it with some Zoas on rockwork, a black and white Clown and a O. havanensis

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back