Mantis Lighting

peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The N. Wennerae needs a smaller spectrum of light ,due to the level they are found in the sea, to maintain their color

any suggestions on lighting for it?

or should i just let it molt and see what color i get?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea that mantis shrimp needed light specific setups. Is there a reason why they would prefer one light setup over another? I really have no experience or answer to your question, I just thought it was interesting.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank?

i wouldn't say they need a specific spectrum. but more or less just depends on the depth of their natural habitat. mantis are very susceptible to shell disease if the light it too bright (i.e. metal halide)

OP
OP
peel

peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know about the shell disease. on Dr. Roy's stomapod site he talks about the N Wennerae changing from red to green due to the broad spectrum of light.

its going to be a 10 gal glass, i don't have anything yet. still trying to figure all the details out. i plan on adding some zoa's and soft coral. just to make the tank more eye pleasing.

thanks for your help so far

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mantis are going to turn whatever color they feel like. trying to influence a certain color is a pretty far stretch considering you don't know the exact depth of the habitat they came from.

i have a 10g AGA mantis tank right now. and i just picked up a coralife T5 strip light w/ 2 normal output bulbs. its plenty for soft corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back