Mantis lost hammers? Will they grow back?

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Recently moved my mantis from the sump of a FOWLR to her own little display tank. The day before the move I noticed one of her hammers had come off, I never located the other one. I assumed she had just moulted (as she exhibited moulting behaviour in the days before) and that mantis shed their hammers each time they moulted.

In her new tank she's been super active exploring, digging in the sand, picking up rocks and moving them around, but she hasn't touched any of the small hermits or snails I've got her or the cockle shell I dropped in the tank for her to eat. I also haven't noticed the pops of her hammers.

I got a good look at her earlier today, and it looks as if she perhaps doesn't actually have either of her hammers at the moment.

I'm concerned about whether or not she will ever grow them back? I've heard some stories about mantis not using their hammers and losing them forever. I was feeding her cockle shells and frozen mysis cubes in the month or two I had her before now. I've also heard they will always grow them back after two moults (with the first only having smaller hammers).

Any ideas what will happen in her case? Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To confirm if she has lost her hammers?
IMG_20220620_155114.jpg
IMG_20220620_155123.jpg
IMG_20220620_155112.jpg

IMG_20220620_155107.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen this before but if they are eating crustaceans typically can grow any appendage back in a molt or two. I had a shrimp lose a claw in shipping and the claw grew back by end of week (not sure if it ever molted in that time as I did not see any ghost whiskers or anything like I usually do)

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen this before but if they are eating crustaceans typically can grow any appendage back in a molt or two. I had a shrimp lose a claw in shipping and the claw grew back by end of week (not sure if it ever molted in that time as I did not see any ghost whiskers or anything like I usually do)
Yeah I've heard they can grow them back in a moult or two, I've also heard that sometimes they will just kinda give up on having hammers and never grow them back though. Curious if there is any credence to those claims or not really.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re easier to see in pics with white light ;) but yeah if she lost them, they’ll eventually grow back, just make sure to offer thawed soft foods since she won’t be able to kill anything :) when they molt, they don’t lose their smashers unless they get stuck in the old shell or the mantis feels a need to just remove them. I don’t think they ever “give up” on regrowing them… that’s strange to hear lol always leave the old shell in with her so she can eat what she wants for calcium :)

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re easier to see in pics with white light ;) but yeah if she lost them, they’ll eventually grow back, just make sure to offer thawed soft foods since she won’t be able to kill anything :) when they molt, they don’t lose their smashers unless they get stuck in the old shell or the mantis feels a need to just remove them. I don’t think they ever “give up” on regrowing them… that’s strange to hear lol always leave the old shell in with her so she can eat what she wants for calcium :)
Ok awesome news! Thanks for your help. I do always leave in the shells of all my inverts when they moult but I've noticed my mantis tends to actually eat it before I get a chance to even see it most of the time.

She's been a lot more active recently and I'm certain she doesn't have hammers right now.

I've definitely read a few older threads that suggested if you never give them anything to smash they'll just give up on them, but that could just be some old reefer 'knowledge' ;)

For your help, here's a video of her trying her best to smash a little shrimp she lives with, without her hammers. Poor little thing must be frustrated not being able to show them who is boss.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of your videos work for me, there’s just a blank space with a play button. I’m on an iPhone 12 with current iOS so I don’t know if it’s just me

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of your videos work for me, there’s just a blank space with a play button. I’m on an iPhone 12 with current iOS so I don’t know if it’s just me
Huh weird, it works fine on my phone and desktop. Sorry it isn't working for you! I uploaded it straight from my google phone, so likely some weird compatibility issue?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back