ef707f39f2828ceb876bc5fefa9fca96.jpg
couldn't resist posting this one

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell from that pic. Just see if you can tell what color they are. They are located above the "smashers" like the purple spots with the white rings around it like in this pic. The easiest way for me to see them is when they look right at you and look like they are flexing at you.

g_smithii1.jpg

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mantis shrimp!

To get a good pic of the spots get a very colorful plastic something.. I used orange handled paintbrushes. (it was for my biology degree, I tested a bunch of different colors and watched the display) Have someone handy with a camera. Wiggle it infront of him and have the person start snapping pics like a mad man. A couple of the pics will turn out perfect. I think in one of the pics it showed white ones, but not 100%

OP
OP
Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mantis shrimp!

To get a good pic of the spots get a very colorful plastic something.. I used orange handled paintbrushes. (it was for my biology degree, I tested a bunch of different colors and watched the display) Have someone handy with a camera. Wiggle it infront of him and have the person start snapping pics like a mad man. A couple of the pics will turn out perfect. I think in one of the pics it showed white ones, but not 100%

Yeah I couldn't tell if these were the spots or not.. he has full white sleeves almost.. I'll definetly try to get some more pics
a0f38ad0a570241998dee092d7415372.jpg

OP
OP
Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell from that pic. Just see if you can tell what color they are. They are located above the "smashers" like the purple spots with the white rings around it like in this pic. The easiest way for me to see them is when they look right at you and look like they are flexing at you.

g_smithii1.jpg

Just got a real nice look at him.. is meral spots are a silverish white with a black dot on the rim closest to its smasher

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White meral spots make me first think N. wennerae. They are easy to come by since they come as hitchhikers on Florida live rock. They almost always change to solid green after molting in a reef tank.

OP
OP
Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White meral spots make me first think N. wennerae. They are easy to come by since they come as hitchhikers on Florida live rock. They almost always change to solid green after molting in a reef tank.

Thank you, do they all start out with the brown coloration? How often should I expect him to molt? (given that I maintain proper iodine levels and feed daily)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, do they all start out with the brown coloration? How often should I expect him to molt? (given that I maintain proper iodine levels and feed daily)

They can be all sorts of colors out of the ocean. Something in our tanks, diet or light makes them turn solid green. They can molt every few weeks or about once a month. Depends on the mantis and growth rate. Don't worry about dosing iodine if you are. Just maintain good tank parameters. The risk of overdosing iodine isn't worth the benefit if any.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back