Mantis question

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been doing a little research because Im interested in getting a Mantis, few questions for the experts.

20 gallon long glass ok or do I really need Acrylic?

Also have a 12 gallon Mr. Aqua rimless, would this work?

What should I do with the bottom?

Does the tank need a cover?

I have an old T8 from another tank that will fit, can I just run Actinic lighting?

Would two pieces of live rock work, with a bunch of rubble scattered along the bottom?

Concerns over glass vs acrylic with slasher type?

Where can I get something other then a zebra and a peacock?

Thanks for the answers, Ive seen answers to most of these questions, just would like to hear what other people have to say about it.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my mantis in a 20l softie reef I wouldnt put one in anything smaller. no cover, t5 lighting, if you use actinic lighting only you wont see the colors of the shrimp
I would have a couple caves for it one on each side of the tank minimum.
I just used normal reef sand

I still dont know what kind my shrimp was just it was female and red in color

OP
OP
TheSaint216

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt want to get crazy with the lighting since Ive read of the shell rot. Would a cover be a bad thing to do? I have cats and I dont need to wake up to a screaming cat missing a paw. Sounds terrible but ya never know with these things. Im not going to keep any corals with it, this will be the shrimps home.

Anyone ever try putting urchins with it? Ive seen long spined urchins on a video in a mantis tank.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been doing a little research because Im interested in getting a Mantis, few questions for the experts.

20 gallon long glass ok or do I really need Acrylic? Glass is fine for most Stomatopods

Also have a 12 gallon Mr. Aqua rimless, would this work? Depends on the mantis

What should I do with the bottom? Some put a sheet of acrylic on the bottom to minimize the risk of glass breaking, (although not likely to break glass).

Does the tank need a cover? A mantis can jump.

I have an old T8 from another tank that will fit, can I just run Actinic lighting? Yes, actinic lighting is not only fine but preferred.

Would two pieces of live rock work, with a bunch of rubble scattered along the bottom? Depends on the mantis.

Concerns over glass vs acrylic with slasher type? No.

Where can I get something other then a zebra and a peacock? tbsaltwater.com, ccritters.com, sealifeinc.net, liveaquaria.com, bluezooaquatics.com are places I've dealt with or heard good things about.

Thanks for the answers, Ive seen answers to most of these questions, just would like to hear what other people have to say about it.

Answered your questions in bold above.

Have you seen Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium ?

This will have most of the info you need.

Edit: I've kept urchins with my mantids without any problems but the rule of keeping stomatopods is don't add anything that you aren't willing to lose.

Last edited:

hvd78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must stink w those. I always get a hitchhiker n they never last in my reef.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy successfully kept a small mantis in a 12 gal acrylic, I'm pretty sure you could go smaller if your husbandry is excellent, obviously species size is a factor here as I have seen some about a foot in length with seriously nightmarish sized smashers.

I've never seen a spear mantis live before or even for sale...PLEASE post pics if you happen to get one! (or let me know where you find it so I can buy it ;)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some about a foot in length with seriously nightmarish sized smashers.

I've never seen a spear mantis live before or even for sale...PLEASE post pics if you happen to get one! (or let me know where you find it so I can buy it ;)

You have seen a foot long mantis in an aquarium?

Liveaquaria sells L. maculatas all the time. I'd suggest doing serious research before attempting one though. P. ciliata would be a much better choice for an average aquarium and you can find them occasionally at sealifeinc.net.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if its true ........... they say they are smarter than dogs !! thats all i know :(

Well, my mantis hasn't used the bathroom on my carpet or chewed any of my socks or furniture so it must be TRUE!

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have seen a foot long mantis in an aquarium?

Yes, it was at an aquarium near Chicago where i used to go all the time called Old Orchard Aquarium. They had a mantis shrimp in a 10 gallon and this thing could barely move around in it. They had sold it immediately so I'm not sure if it was a special request or something. I'm not shy with marine life by any means and I wouldn't even go near the tank with this thing in it.

Last edited:

Carrigg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a mantis in a live rock I purchased for my reef tank - it was very tiny (less than 1 inch). I just caught it and put it in small acryllic fry tank within my reef tank. It hides in a cave made from a large barnacle and is doing quite well and has gotten a bit bigger (3 inches) and eats frozen brine shrimp now that it doesn't have access to the snails, fish and hermit crabs.
Christy

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back