OP
OP
CAMAKAZY

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pic of him arriving. I dont see any spots. Is that the only way to observe the shell rot?
442ab391ad718b7082f1bc603625695f.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES . But by the time you see it on the outside its severely spread on the inside.
He looks good. It will start as lighter colored spots before it becomes a hole.

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have the peacock mantis in? It is important to give them larger tanks than other mantis shrimp as they get large and smaller tank have thinner glass and those are when the extremely rare occasions of glass breaking occur. 29+ gallons is a good minimum.

They should be provided with pvc pipe to be turned into their den, as it better replicates their home in the wild. You should try to make it U-shaped with at least 2 exits, and there should be a spot where absolutely no light gets in. This will allow them to have stress free molts.

My peacock mantis is in his own tank, so the light in his tank is solely for my viewing pleasure, and to stimulate a light cycle. I have a small LED zetlight and keep it at 40% strength at its strongest. Their eyesight is so good that the light serves them no real purpose to them, just makes the tank looks nice!

Shell rot is a largely unknown disease, and there is no proof of correlation between light strength and shell rot. Aim to keep water as clean and stable as possible.

They are great though! Can’t get enough of my guy and agree with you that you get very Used to the constant clicking, enjoy!

OP
OP
CAMAKAZY

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be buying a black pvc pipe for another burrow. What size pvc is recommended?

OP
OP
CAMAKAZY

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent posted in a while. The peacock molted about a month ago. Everything seems to be good. No aggression towards my damsel an corals are growing.

20191010_142745.jpg

OP
OP
CAMAKAZY

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he is in a reef. Mostly softies few easy lps. I had a few sticks but he beat the limbs up pretty good before his molt.

OP
OP
CAMAKAZY

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing i cant keep long is a clean up crew. I have one turbo that he cant break or at least quit trying too. I usually add a few hermits an smaller snails every couple weeks.

OP
OP
CAMAKAZY

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He got me last night when I tried removing a frag from in front his burrow. He popped me right on the knuckle. Didnt bleed but I could still fell it hour later.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He got me last night when I tried removing a frag from in front his burrow. He popped me right on the knuckle. Didnt bleed but I could still fell it hour later.

That's his!

smokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Peacock - I had one before: Mr. Fister. +1 to PVC. It's fun to watch them go from one entrance to another to get a better view. In fact, he disliked one of his entrances so much he moved a rock over and lodged it in there to block it off.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been thinking, once I upgrade to my 150 I'm going to put a smaller species in my 20 gal sump. What is the min for a peacock?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back