Mantis shrimp algea like growth on back

Tom.suurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive gotten what i think was a male shrimp about a week ago.
Since i got it ive noticed this weird algae like growth on its back.
Does anybody know anything about this, is it bad, can i do anything about it.
Its eating just fine.
Its in a 110 liter aquarium.
I can't really take a good picture of it but here is my best attempt.
16079786923123948532047873212093.jpg
16079787302391294872822514561864.jpg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks mostly exterior to me. And since mantis shrimp molt, I'd be willing to bet that the algae-like stuff on the shell will come off too. But I'm not a mantis expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to the algae issue, but those spots on the back look like possible shell rot? I’d do some research on that and see if that’s affecting the shrimp as well, shell rot is super common in peacocks. I found a good source about it on a different forum from several years ago but I can’t remember the name if I can find it and figure out how to link it here I will

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
T

Tom.suurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read the article about the shell disease but i coundt really quite catch what the solution was and what they meant with "cool lighting"
Do you happen to know what he means by that
And did you succeed in curing shell disease and if so what did work
Unrelated to the algae issue, but those spots on the back look like possible shell rot? I’d do some research on that and see if that’s affecting the shrimp as well, shell rot is super common in peacocks. I found a good source about it on a different forum from several years ago but I can’t remember the name if I can find it and figure out how to link it here I will

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t kept a mantis (yet) so I don’t have personal experience, I found that doing research preparing for my own. My takeaway was soft lighting rather than really intense and cooler toned lighting (soft blues?) I’m not even sure if I’ll be putting a light on my tank at all, at least at first. My tank will be next to a few freshwater tanks and will receive indirect sunlight, so that’ll probably be enough for viewing. I may eventually get a cheaper light to grow soft corals like Zoas but I’m worried about the light bugging the mantis. Past threads on here found that the mantis was much more outgoing without the extra light.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the algae growth, it could be just that: algae. If so, I would think that it will come off with the next molt, and could be a lighting issue? I’m really not sure. I have yet to keep a saltwater tank (I will soon ) but as far as freshwater goes, algae happens with an imbalance of lighting and nutrients, and so far it seems a similar thing in saltwater. What are your parameters?

OP
OP
T

Tom.suurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t kept a mantis (yet) so I don’t have personal experience, I found that doing research preparing for my own. My takeaway was soft lighting rather than really intense and cooler toned lighting (soft blues?) I’m not even sure if I’ll be putting a light on my tank at all, at least at first. My tank will be next to a few freshwater tanks and will receive indirect sunlight, so that’ll probably be enough for viewing. I may eventually get a cheaper light to grow soft corals like Zoas but I’m worried about the light bugging the mantis. Past threads on here found that the mantis was much more outgoing without the extra light

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more blues and less purples and reds and yellows, but also just less intense in general? I’m still really new to the whole lighting thing in general in marine setups. What light do you have and what intensity’s do you have it at?

OP
OP
T

Tom.suurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont really have a way to messure that,
I just changed it to a very dim purple
Its a lot dimmer than it seems on the pic

Attachments

• 16081552010209038384863502415441.jpg
    16081552010209038384863502415441.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 45

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back