Mantis Shrimp ID

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I’m down to just my peacock now... I’m kicking myself for either killing or losing track of the tiny smithii I posted about a few months ago... it was in a 2.5 bow front then moved the sand and rocks to critter keepers so I could find him more easily. Didn’t see any bodies but maybe I’ll hear clicking one day and know it’s him in the ten gallon I put his rocks in... if the bigger hermits don’t find him first

this is why I’m dying to get one shipped to me from someone who doesn’t want it
What’s the tank size for a mantis? I might put one in my spare 10 gal or 3 gal

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some more pics. Hard to get from front but these are closer up. BTW, he came from KP live rock which is FL based if that helps to ID him.
Thought about sumping him but prob won’t appreciate him enough so would consider shipping him to someone who can appreciate him.
Well it's not a N. wennerae but its likely a similar species. I had two that I put in a fluval with their home rocks. They were neat but just to hungry for ceriths in such a small tank. One in a big tank would probably be fine and go nearly unnoticed. Most anything you get on carribean rock will be a smasher that tops out under 3".

There is at least one very large spearer species but they live in the mud.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's not a N. wennerae but its likely a similar species. I had two that I put in a fluval with their home rocks. They were neat but just to hungry for ceriths in such a small tank. One in a big tank would probably be fine and go nearly unnoticed. Most anything you get on carribean rock will be a smasher that tops out under 3".

There is at least one very large spearer species but they live in the mud.
Why do you say not a wennerae? They’re common in Florida. Salty bottom is based in Florida and that’s the one smasher they sell (except peacocks recently and it’s not a peacock)

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve narrowed the mantis down to these three: bredini, oerstedii, and wennerae. All of which are listed at hardy and active according to dr roys site.

the childi is nowhere near Florida and the Caribbean...

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve narrowed the mantis down to these three: bredini, oerstedii, and wennerae. All of which are listed at hardy and active according to dr roys site.

the childi is nowhere near Florida and the Caribbean...
Lol good job. Definitely a oerstedii.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the oerstedii. Same coloration.
What do I feed this lil guy? Tried frozen brine, no joy.
Anything he can pick up and eat. Try giving him 1/2 a raw shrimp. Buy some

American Marine Selcon 60 mL

Soak his food in it, gives him what he needs. Also give something for it to hit at least one every two weeks or it will loss it’s hammers. Give it rocks and sand to build and a good burrow like a pvc pipe.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything he can pick up and eat. Try giving him 1/2 a raw shrimp. Buy some

American Marine Selcon 60 mL

Soak his food in it, gives him what he needs. Also give something for it to hit at least one every two weeks or it will loss it’s hammers. Give it rocks and sand to build and a good burrow like a pvc pipe.

Going to get some raw shrimp today and try that. It's been like 3 days since I got him out of the tank and he hasn't eaten anything. I also think it's a male as the description says females have black spots all over the body and he doesn't have any.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah good idea! Try a tiny bit of raw shrimp or scallop! They’ll usually eat what they want then leave the rest outside the burrow.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to get some raw shrimp today and try that. It's been like 3 days since I got him out of the tank and he hasn't eaten anything. I also think it's a male as the description says females have black spots all over the body and he doesn't have any.
Sounds like it’s stressed, or about to molt. Some won’t eat for a week prior to a molt. How are you housing it?

Turn out the lights, don’t do big water changes an give it somewhere it feels like it’s safe and hiding, usually for a smasher a small PVC pipe, not super big for a small guy like that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back