Mantis shrimp molt

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mantis shrimp just molted over the night. I found his molt in the tank early this morning. Does he eat this molt or should I take it out. This is my first time experiencing him molting. Also is my first mantis shrimp

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many mantis shrimp will eat their molt. All the mantis shrimp I have kept always lock themselves away when molting and I never see the molt so it is assumed it is eaten. Do you know what species of mantis you have? Was the molt left somewhere away from the burrow or right next to the burrow entrance? If it is not near the borrow entrance then the mantis might have carried it there to dispose of it. In either case it can be left for a day or two and if its left alone it should be good to remove it. Welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mantis shrimp is a Odantodactylus scyllarus. His molt was buried under the sand. He carried it out and was picking pieces off of it than burried it. Most of the molt is gone but a few pieces are left and he’s not bothering with it. Should I just take the molt out or leave it in? Also when do they start eating meals again after a molt?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it to break down. And I'd give him at least a week before feeding...you'll know hes ready. Hell start venturing out.

Back