Mantis shrimp molted. Is it safe to move him?

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I set up a new and bigger tank for my peacock mantis shrimp. It has more floor space, hides, and sand to burrow into. The tank has been running with safely for a month now and everything checks out on the water levels, salt, ammonia etc etc. I was going to transfer the critter over last night when noticed it wasn't eating when I offered it food and would not come out of its hide no mater what. That is when I learned it had just molted! It is looking better than ever and has regrown some of the legs that it had lost before I got it. My question to you all is, when is it safe to me to move it to the new tank? How long does it take for its new exoskeleton to harden? I don't want to hurt in attempting to net it up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Leave everything. The shell is a dummy while his new shell hardens. Thereafter, it will eat that shell for added calcium.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time leave the molt. They will usually eat everything but the dactyls and telson which they will either throw out or bury. Exoskeleton hardening to the point where they can crack open a snail usually completes in a week or two depending on size. Also don’t use a net, try a plastic container if possible (it’s tricky but you can guide it in and bring to the top of the tank with a lid using a terrarium carrier). Nets tend to snag the spines and sharp edges.

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree, give it at least a week. I've actually just migrated mine and was worried the same thing was going to happen as he stopped eating just before I was ready to move him. Thankfully I got him moved over and he is now shut up in his new den moulting.

With regards to eating the moult I have only physically confirmed 2 of my mantis moults over the time I've had him as he eats the whole thing with often the only evidence being tiny bits of his smashers on the sand

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time leave the molt. They will usually eat everything but the dactyls and telson which they will either throw out or bury. Exoskeleton hardening to the point where they can crack open a snail usually completes in a week or two depending on size. Also don’t use a net, try a plastic container if possible (it’s tricky but you can guide it in and bring to the top of the tank with a lid using a terrarium carrier). Nets tend to snag the spines and sharp edges.
That would explain why he is still not eating.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back