Mantis Shrimp Tank Build

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So I have had a dream about setting up a tank dedicated to a Peacock Mantis Shrimp (O. Scyllarus) and have been piecing it together over the past 2 months. Tank has been wet for one week using water from established tank.

Equipment list:
40 Gallon Breeder Tank
Filtration: 110v Aquaclear HOB filter & Coralife Filter with built in protein skimmer
Lights: Aqeuon basic 36" LED lights
Substrate: 40 pounds argonite
40 pounds of live rock with live rock rubble
U-shaped PVC den with 3 entries at substrate level
Mantis Shrimp: waiting on my LFS to find a suitable O. Scyllarus, and am willing to be patient.

I plan to replace the stand as I am slightly worried about the tank being completely level. It passed the tests when i used an actual level, but as you can see from picture, the left hand water level is slight lower than right side, is this something that needs to be addressed immediately?

Please let me know your thoughts, and any advice/critiques on how I can make this the best tank possible! PS. please ignore Rick and Morty, they have seemed to sneak into my tank

FTS Mantis.jpg

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So I have had a dream about setting up a tank dedicated to a Peacock Mantis Shrimp (O. Scyllarus) and have been piecing it together over the past 2 months. Tank has been wet for one week using water from established tank.

Equipment list:
40 Gallon Breeder Tank
Filtration: 110v Aquaclear HOB filter & Coralife Filter with built in protein skimmer
Lights: Aqeuon basic 36" LED lights
Substrate: 40 pounds argonite
40 pounds of live rock with live rock rubble
U-shaped PVC den with 3 entries at substrate level
Mantis Shrimp: waiting on my LFS to find a suitable O. Scyllarus, and am willing to be patient.

I plan to replace the stand as I am slightly worried about the tank being completely level. It passed the tests when i used an actual level, but as you can see from picture, the left hand water level is slight lower than right side, is this something that needs to be addressed immediately?

Please let me know your thoughts, and any advice/critiques on how I can make this the best tank possible! PS. please ignore Rick and Morty, they have seemed to sneak into my tank

FTS Mantis.jpg
I like it. Very similar to my build. Idk if you browsed through it. I am currently battling nitrates a bit. Kind wish I had drilled an overflow in hindsight as I don't have this issue with my 65g.... But it's working well. I've read you can just get by with a good skimmer but I also have a hob... Tidal 110.
1e2da4d170f58102a53f4d99eb1b03cc.jpg
8bf9d4ef594c39e494348c02af0a193c.jpg

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Exactly what I am going for. I have perused most of the mantis tank threads on this site to learn as much as I can, and have definitely come across yours. Can I ask what the skimmer you have on? I assume I will be upgrading my equipment overtime and am always looking for first hand experience.

I also don't have an overflow, and likely will not have one drilled, have you thought about getting an HOB overflow of some sorts?

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Exactly what I am going for. I have perused most of the mantis tank threads on this site to learn as much as I can, and have definitely come across yours. Can I ask what the skimmer you have on? I assume I will be upgrading my equipment overtime and am always looking for first hand experience.

I also don't have an overflow, and likely will not have one drilled, have you thought about getting an HOB overflow of some sorts?
Thank you! I am using a reef octopus classic 90 hob. I have considered a hob overflow but am trying to get it to level out as is... Because of the placement in my space I can't really access a sump. That's why I didn't use one in the first place.

I have a feeling it spiked when I got him because he rounded up every crab and snail in the tank and killed em all! Lol.

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jaysin13

I honestly didn’t realize you were the person with the 40G breeder build. (Newish to the forum)

You mentioned that you would do some things diffeeently from your first build. May I ask what you would change? Looking to learn as much as I can.

Is the only change that you would wait the tank to be mature or are there other changes you would make?

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jaysin13

I honestly didn’t realize you were the person with the 40G breeder build. (Newish to the forum)

You mentioned that you would do some things diffeeently from your first build. May I ask what you would change? Looking to learn as much as I can.

Is the only change that you would wait the tank to be mature or are there other changes you would make?
Yeah. Np. I am by no means an expert in the keeping of mantis shrimp. In fact I'd still say I'm pretty novice. I think if I were to do it over I'd definitely wait for the tank to be more mature and stable before adding my first..... But as far as the build, and this is just preference, I'd have a sump. It's not necessary but I feel I could keep the tank more stable. I am still battling nitrates to a degree but I may be spoiled because my 65g nem tank with sump is a rock. Super stable and even hard to keep nitrates up in. Haven't done a water change in that tank in about 6 months.

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is cycled and steady, now just need to locate the peacock mantis itself.

My goal is to get one through one of the 2 LFS I go to, but they have been unsuccessful in finding them the last few runs to the whole saler.

I have found some online sources but would like to avoid if possible due to it being a “restricted species” on many sites and that causes the live guarantee to be void. Has anyone had positive experiences with “your fish store” or “azgardens”? Both are online shops. Appreciate the feedback!

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is cycled and steady, now just need to locate the peacock mantis itself.

My goal is to get one through one of the 2 LFS I go to, but they have been unsuccessful in finding them the last few runs to the whole saler.

I have found some online sources but would like to avoid if possible due to it being a “restricted species” on many sites and that causes the live guarantee to be void. Has anyone had positive experiences with “your fish store” or “azgardens”? Both are online shops. Appreciate the feedback!
I wanted to see mine first. Only one local store gets them. They carry odder species. I had to wait almost 6 months for this guy. Does suck. Good luck either way.
cede67748d67a7228e8b2f3dfb430966.jpg

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS got in a monster mantis shrimp this week that has to be at least 6 in! I would love to get one but afraid of it breaking the glass...is this a possibility??

It is more internet myth than anything. There are isolated incidents where pretty much anything can happen, but from what i understand, it is not something to worry about.

As long as you house the Mantis in a big enough tank, and you don't regularly tease it at the glass, it should have no reason to repeatedly strike the glass for the sake of breaking it.

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially found my guy! One of the many feelers I put out in the area proved to be worthwhile, and I was able to scoop this fella up from a person who was breaking down their tank before a move. It was a win-win for everyone involved. He is about 3-4 inches long.

His move went well, and he immediately went into the PVC den I built for him, which made me super happy.

I added 2 small-medium hermits and 3 snails. he almost immediately dispatched of the hermits, and went through 2 of the snails over the next day.

By no means, am I planning on feeding him all live food, but could not resist. I plan to feed him 2 times a week, with a live feeding happening every 1-2 weeks.

I have a feeling he is preparing for a molt as he has started to barricade himself into the pvc den. The person I got him from expected him to molt soon, hopefully it goes smoothly!

mantis shrimp pic 1.jpg

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more internet myth than anything. There are isolated incidents where pretty much anything can happen, but from what i understand, it is not something to worry about.

As long as you house the Mantis in a big enough tank, and you don't regularly tease it at the glass, it should have no reason to repeatedly strike the glass for the sake of breaking it.
Pretty much this.... bigger tanks have thicker glass. I believe the bottom is most vulnerable especially without a good burrow as they'll dig. I have hdpe board under sand with an abs plastic tunnel. My dude is about 6" and I've never seen him touch the glass.

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially found my guy! One of the many feelers I put out in the area proved to be worthwhile, and I was able to scoop this fella up from a person who was breaking down their tank before a move. It was a win-win for everyone involved. He is about 3-4 inches long.

His move went well, and he immediately went into the PVC den I built for him, which made me super happy.

I added 2 small-medium hermits and 3 snails. he almost immediately dispatched of the hermits, and went through 2 of the snails over the next day.

By no means, am I planning on feeding him all live food, but could not resist. I plan to feed him 2 times a week, with a live feeding happening every 1-2 weeks.

I have a feeling he is preparing for a molt as he has started to barricade himself into the pvc den. The person I got him from expected him to molt soon, hopefully it goes smoothly!

mantis shrimp pic 1.jpg
Oh, nice! They barricade it up pretty good.

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jaysin13 have you ever seen a false molt? I thought he was going to molt as he barricaded himself in the PVC den, but I woke up this morning to him taking care of a snail that wandered too close to his den, and one of the entrances had been cleared.

I am not sure if he was just rearranging his new environment to suit his desires or what, but want to make sure I am not interrupting a molt as i know that is when they are most sensitive. I might be overthinking, which tends to happen, but wanted to get your opinion. Thanks!

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jaysin13 have you ever seen a false molt? I thought he was going to molt as he barricaded himself in the PVC den, but I woke up this morning to him taking care of a snail that wandered too close to his den, and one of the entrances had been cleared.

I am not sure if he was just rearranging his new environment to suit his desires or what, but want to make sure I am not interrupting a molt as i know that is when they are most sensitive. I might be overthinking, which tends to happen, but wanted to get your opinion. Thanks!
Not a false molt exactly.... mine have always rearranged tirelessly at first to get it how they like and now he closes up the entrances every night. Opens up in morning like clockwork. Sometimes he opens both sides. Sometimes one side or the other. During a molt he wont come out at all for like 5 days.

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a false molt exactly.... mine have always rearranged tirelessly at first to get it how they like and now he closes up the entrances every night. Opens up in morning like clockwork. Sometimes he opens both sides. Sometimes one side or the other. During a molt he wont come out at all for like 5 days.

@Jaysin13 Thank you so much that is so helpful! Classic overthinking on my part. I appreciate your insight.

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to upgrade my tank to allow for better filtration. Switched from a 40G breeder with 2 HOB filters to a Rimless tank with a sump that includes a filter sock, oversized protein skimmer, ATO and refugium set up. Best part of this is all equipment/cords are hidden completely, except for the dang light cord. The color really pops on Gordon the Peacock under the new Zetlights!
mantis fts.jpg
mantis close up.jpg

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to upgrade my tank to allow for better filtration. Switched from a 40G breeder with 2 HOB filters to a Rimless tank with a sump that includes a filter sock, oversized protein skimmer, ATO and refugium set up. Best part of this is all equipment/cords are hidden completely, except for the dang light cord. The color really pops on Gordon the Peacock under the new Zetlights!
mantis fts.jpg
mantis close up.jpg
Ok, now I'm jealous. I really should have set mine up with a sump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back