mantis shrimp

82coz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have got one in a live rock I just got are the good or bad not sure it is hiding in the rock one seen head

Last edited:
OP
OP
82coz

82coz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics I got

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's definetly a mantis shrimp.. that one in particular looks to be a 'spearer' but a clearer pic will be needed to say for sure. They are INCREDIBLE creatures but are not good additions to most reef tanks. If it is a spearing mantis, your medium/ smaller sized fish will be at risk. If it's a smashing mantis (you would've probably heard a bunch of ticking noises by now) your inverts and bottom dwelling fish will be at risk.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the glass jar tilted at an angle with the lip next to its rock, and food/bait at the bottom. I've tried putting Saran wrap over most of the mouth of a jar to keep fish out. You can also check out commercial plastic mantis traps (I think that someone makes one, but I'm not sure). Regardless, good luck - they are quite intelligent! You could also literally feed it like a pet, and over time as it gets to trust you, lead it to a glass jar trap.

Don't put your fingers anywhere near it!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back