Mantis tank build (Odontodactylus japonicus)

OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Awesome Mantis! I've been reading through this thread and got to page 3 before realizing you're here in Amarillo too! Did you get the mantis from Fish Pro's?
Awesome to meet someone here locally. I’m actually in Dumas but my in-laws live in Amarillo. I lived in Amarillo from 2010 to 2014 but moved back to Dumas since I was already commuting everyday to Dumas and my wife also found a job where I work.

I ordered the mantis. It can from nyaquatic.com.

Champion Lighting & Supply
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
9C703535-012F-43C5-9E20-3649680EF68C.jpeg

OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
RIP yellow tail damsel! Guess it got picked off last night sometime. Still got the Azure in there doing good. We will see how long that lasts. Maybe worth a test but I think we all knew the shrimp would get it eventually. Even with 1 eye. Probably won’t try anything else except intentional food items here on out. Although, technically the 2 damsels were bought with the intent of possibly being food. Probably just keep hermits and astrea snails for it from now on. Occasional damsels if I find them cheap and QT them.

OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Probably eaten by the mantis
No doubt. Fish were fully QT’d and healthy. I was just reporting that even with that much rock for the fish to hide in that the mantis will eventually get lucky and get one. Even missing an eye!

1 damsel to go. Maybe it’ll be a survivor?

Do you think there are benefits to turning your skimmer off for periods of time?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • NO

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Maybe but not sure

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 10.0%
Ultimate Corals