Mantis tank build (Odontodactylus japonicus)

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple pics from this evening. Just waiting for new tank to finish cycling.

E32D2674-B35C-4493-8A5A-EF30C8625F37.jpeg 2EDD0528-C753-4511-A9BB-836AB22D44A3.jpeg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very cool mantis shrimp. I've thought about getting one before, but have heard they can be a bit of a pain to care for. Any difficulties so far?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very cool mantis shrimp. I've thought about getting one before, but have heard they can be a bit of a pain to care for. Any difficulties so far?
Just in the first couple weeks. It was on hunger strike and refused most food offerings. In hindsight I think it was due to it being close to molting. Since molting it’s become much more active making me realize how important a larger tank is. At first it didn’t move around and do much.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, from talking with other Mantis owners who have had theirs lose eyes, whether to a bad molt, infection, or damage, that eye will never grow back.

This only makes a mantis shrimp slightly less predatory, as each eye has three pupils. As far as a shrimp kicking the door in on a clam that has no half shell, that's just a mantis shrimp being a mantis shrimp. They take a 'better safe than sorry' mindset to prey...

Like in Zombieland... Always 'double tap'.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also feed it gut-loaded ghost shrimp to your mantis shrimp or freshwater feeder fish, since both of this options can´t carry saltwater diseases. If you don't want to feed your mantis shrimp feshwater feeder fish, you can also freshwater-dip your saltwater damsels after acclimating them to make all parasites drop off.
For freshwater feeders would that be like guppies/livebearers? im a freshwater hobbyist whos wanting to breed livebearers but I also wanna get into saltwater, specifically mantis shrimp. Would those work for the mantis for food?

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For freshwater feeders would that be like guppies/livebearers? im a freshwater hobbyist whos wanting to breed livebearers but I also wanna get into saltwater, specifically mantis shrimp. Would those work for the mantis for food?
It will work as live food easily for every carnivorous fish. There is a myth over here that freshwater feeder fish cause fatty liver but is false with the goldfish exception that gives a high quantity of lipid and causes thiamise related problems. The problem with saltwater feeders is saltwater feeders are quite expensive compared to freshwater ones and they can pass diseases to other saltwater fish, so for carnivorous fish that only accept live food we usually use ghost shrimp, guppies and mollies resist so well the enviroment, guppies and ghost shrimp are really easy to breed, and ghost shrimp are really unexpensive, a bag of 6 in liveaquaria costs just 1 buck

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup! I love the colors on him too.
He seams to like it. He is able to hide without me being able to see him which I’m sure it appreciates. If ever a doubt on how it’s doing just stick feeding tongs in the hole! Or finger if nothing else is close by! JK :eek:
giphy.gif

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seams to like it. He is able to hide without me being able to see him which I’m sure it appreciates. If ever a doubt on how it’s doing just stick feeding tongs in the hole! Or finger if nothing else is close by! JK :eek:
giphy.gif
That gif is exactly how I picture owning a mantis would be ha

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back