Mantis tank build (Odontodactylus japonicus)

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
I picked up a few damsels last Sunday and have been treating them. 1 didn’t make it. Other 2 are doing good and currently ramping up copper power. They’ll be ready to play tag with the mantis before long. Hoping it’s not a short game!

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the mantis doing in the new tank? I'm very curious about the rubble bottom; has the mantis been doing any redecorating?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the mantis doing in the new tank? I'm very curious about the rubble bottom; has the mantis been doing any redecorating?
Here’s some pics taken yesterday. It rearranged some rock and piled a little bit in front of a couple entrances. On the last water change I moved some rocks that were at the front glass and made it more “even” in height across the front.
Also, the reverse under gravel filter seams to be working great!

EED3C61B-6903-4CA0-97AA-ACD154D54CB0.jpeg B39007C4-076D-45A4-977F-F23AE0873A59.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also got this older live rock. Got it over 2 years ago. It was originally bought when I set up a temporary tank for some clowns I got. It had some aptasia so once I removed the clowns I put it into a bucket with lid and only aeration (absolute dark). It was in the bucket for several months and when I pulled it out of the bucket to start my FOWLR tank everything that had been on it was gone. It sat in the sump for almost 2 years in mostly darkness and came out when I set up the 5 gallon tank for the mantis when I got it. Now that it’s in the 20 gallon with consistent lighting I’m getting life! Blue sponge and coraline. Never saw either on this rock in the little over 2 years I’ve had it. Must be a RUGF thing? @Paul B is this the same blue sponge stuff you have in your tank?

3D2AD4EC-D3A9-43CB-9A1A-D24280457CF1.jpeg

Last edited:

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this! Where did you find the rubble for the substrate? I’m wanting to do something similar. Also, what is a reverse under gravel filter? I’m still really new to saltwater. I know the basics of a regular undergravel (had one as a kid in a FW tank). Also, what media are you using for filtration?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this! Where did you find the rubble for the substrate? I’m wanting to do something similar. Also, what is a reverse under gravel filter? I’m still really new to saltwater. I know the basics of a regular undergravel (had one as a kid in a FW tank). Also, what media are you using for filtration?
The rubble I found on eBay. I bought 40 lbs. for $40.
Here is an eBay link of what I bought. It’s $70 for 40 lbs. now.

A reverse flow under gravel filter (RUGF) is just how it sounds. Instead of using the air stones to pull water down through the substrate and to the up flow tubes you use powerheads to force water down the upflow tubes below the substrate to then come up through it. This keeps detritus from settling to the bottom. Instead the upflow through the substrate keeps it suspended where the HOB or other filtration can pull it from the water column.

I use a Seachem Tidal 75 with the ceramic rings it came with and some filter floss.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rubble I found on eBay. I bought 40 lbs. for $40.
Here is an eBay link of what I bought. It’s $70 for 40 lbs. now.

A reverse flow under gravel filter (RUGF) is just how it sounds. Instead of using the air stones to pull water down through the substrate and to the up flow tubes you use powerheads to force water down the upflow tubes below the substrate to then come up through it. This keeps detritus from settling to the bottom. Instead the upflow through the substrate keeps it suspended where the HOB or other filtration can pull it from the water column.

I use a Seachem Tidal 75 with the ceramic rings it came with and some filter floss.
I was already debating putting a layer of egg crate down under the substrate just in case, but I might do one of those instead, 2 birds for one stone. Thanks so much! And I’ve been looking into the Tidal HOBs already so that’s a great sign, thank you! I just wasn’t sure what to run in it as far as media. Do you run a skimmer at all?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was already debating putting a layer of egg crate down under the substrate just in case, but I might do one of those instead, 2 birds for one stone. Thanks so much! And I’ve been looking into the Tidal HOBs already so that’s a great sign, thank you! I just wasn’t sure what to run in it as far as media. Do you run a skimmer at all?
Nope, haven’t got a skimmer on the mantis shrimp tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a beauty!!

KRas1014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Mantis! I've been reading through this thread and got to page 3 before realizing you're here in Amarillo too! Did you get the mantis from Fish Pro's?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back