Mantis tank

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a fully cycled 20 gallon tank. Has 20 pounds of live sand, 21 pounds of live rock, and a few mushroom corals and pulsing Xenia polyps that came in on the live rock. I also have some macro algae, 3 astrea snails, 20 ghost shrimp, 1 dwarf blue legged hermit (came in on the live rock), and I had a blue-green chromis that I returned to the LFS. I was thinking of eventually keeping some clowns but that is commonly seen and I want something unusual yet fun. So my question is what mantis shrimp can I comfortably keep in here? And how can I provide for it? I've done research saying you need LR rubble, deep sand beds, PVC pipe, etc but it was all for different species of mantis shrimp and I want to know what I need for my specific species. I know the snails, hermit, and ghost shrimp will eventually get eaten but I'm not too worried about them. I want ones that could eat frozen shrimp, etc that I defrost but also eat live crabs and snails, etc. And I want one that will be active. So which species would be best for me?

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First and foremost congratulations for given these guys a try!

I'm full disclosure I do not own a mantis shrimp (although, not for lack of trying to get one) but I have done my fair share of research on the topic.

As you may already know, there are too kinds of mantis: smashers and spearers.

Smashers are the way to go as far as an active species are concerned.

Here you have a comprehensive list of which are the general kept mantis:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist

In a tank the size of yours, the most known an common mantis (the peacock) is to be avoided, as it gets too big for a 20g.

For a 20g, a G. Smithii or a N. Wennerae would definitely work.

For these guys, no deep sand bed is needed, nor a pvp pipe. Deep sand beds might be needed for spearer mantis and pvp pipes for the Peacock or larger.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please ask!

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah thank you! I've heard of the N. Wennerae before and it really caught my interest. So the deep sand bed and pvc pipe is only for spears? I've also heard giving them a pvc pipe is like giving them a "finished home" so they don't go out as much. Is this true?

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep sand bed for spearers.

PVP pipe for the Peacock Mantis Shrimp or larger (smasher) - which you can't house in a 20 gallon.

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok that makes sense, thank you! Also do you think I could keep a yellowtail damsel in with N. Wennerae or no? I read that active fish that don't tend to perch or stay near the ground are more likely to be successful

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a n.wenarae with a yellow tailed damsel in a 8 gallon . Theres no tention between the two. I also have some easy corals an a small cuc. The mantis doesnt mess with the corals but if he gets hungry he will kill cuc members. I used to get mantis for free back when live rock was sold at lfs. The one i have now was bought and shipped from saltybottomreef.com. i was very satisfied with them. 11 dollars for a n. Wenarae was a good price i thought.

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok that makes sense, thank you! Also do you think I could keep a yellowtail damsel in with N. Wennerae or no? I read that active fish that don't tend to perch or stay near the ground are more likely to be successful

The key idea is "likely". If you accept the possibility of it being turned into a snack, it's all good ^^

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS actually had one on sale so I picked it up. They said it is one of the Caribbean ones and I took a pic for a positive ID. I'm on my way home though so it's still in the bag. If you need a better pic let me know :)

IMG_6589.JPG

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS actually had one on sale so I picked it up. They said it is one of the Caribbean ones and I took a pic for a positive ID. I'm on my way home though so it's still in the bag. If you need a better pic let me know :)

IMG_6589.JPG
Wow that picture is actually terrible. I'll get a better one when I get home

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back