Mantis vs Large strawberry Hermit Crab... ?

Squidward

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I added a large Strawberry Hermit crab on Sunday. My mantis shirmp took a couple swipes at its shell. I figured the seashell was big and strong. No damage was done. I was waiting eagerly to see a real fight. But it's now been 3 days and nothings happening. I wonder if the Mantis will try again? Or do you think the Mantis is intimidated now?

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I added a large Strawberry Hermit crab on Sunday. My mantis shirmp took a couple swipes at its shell. I figured the seashell was big and strong. No damage was done. I was waiting eagerly to see a real fight. But it's now been 3 days and nothings happening. I wonder if the Mantis will try again? Or do you think the Mantis is intimidated now?
Maybe not intimidated as much as discouraged. I would assume eventually he will try again but who knows when

OP
Squidward

Squidward

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What have you normally been feeding him ?
Pellets, frozen LRS, and half clams. The last 2 days that I put the half clam in... he never came out. He usually smells it and comes out rather quickly and snatches it and goes into his hole to eat it. These last 2 occasions the half clam is just sitting there...and the strawberry hermit crab eventually smells it and slowly goes and gets it. Maybe if the mantis gets starved enough, he'll attack hopefully.

Fritz

IS RTN/STN MORE COMMON THAN IT USED TO BE?

• Yes! I (and/or my friends) have experienced it more than it used happen.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I think it's about the same.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No. It's actually less common than it used to be.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I've never experienced RTN/STN.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • What's RTN/STN?

Votes: 5 29.4%
SaltwaterAquarium.com