Mantis vs Large strawberry Hermit Crab... ?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a large Strawberry Hermit crab on Sunday. My mantis shirmp took a couple swipes at its shell. I figured the seashell was big and strong. No damage was done. I was waiting eagerly to see a real fight. But it's now been 3 days and nothings happening. I wonder if the Mantis will try again? Or do you think the Mantis is intimidated now?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a large Strawberry Hermit crab on Sunday. My mantis shirmp took a couple swipes at its shell. I figured the seashell was big and strong. No damage was done. I was waiting eagerly to see a real fight. But it's now been 3 days and nothings happening. I wonder if the Mantis will try again? Or do you think the Mantis is intimidated now?
Maybe not intimidated as much as discouraged. I would assume eventually he will try again but who knows when

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he knows he cant win he may get tired of trying. Im kinda curious to try a big crab or something with my purple spot now and see what he does.

OP
OP
Squidward

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you normally been feeding him ?
Pellets, frozen LRS, and half clams. The last 2 days that I put the half clam in... he never came out. He usually smells it and comes out rather quickly and snatches it and goes into his hole to eat it. These last 2 occasions the half clam is just sitting there...and the strawberry hermit crab eventually smells it and slowly goes and gets it. Maybe if the mantis gets starved enough, he'll attack hopefully.

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he knows he cant win he may get tired of trying. Im kinda curious to try a big crab or something with my purple spot now and see what he does.
Quarantine a dungoness crab from an Aisan market store and check, they're always too dossile to hurt anything else yet and hardy themselves

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantis is not hungry enough to bother cracking it. Why would you do this though?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth the effort for mantis to kill , I’m sure you feed them why would it kill if it doesn’t need to? I have a community mantis lol hasn’t hurt anything as far I can tell , comes out when I feed fish expecting mysis

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back