Manual Removal of Dinos?

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the opinions on the best way to manually remove Dinos? Would anyone recommend against brushing them off rocks and corals with a toothbrush? I'm worried about whether they would spread doing this? I was hoping someone invented something that incorporates a brush and a suction mechanism but I haven't seen anything like that. Thanks for the help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Best and most effective method is to do a 5 day blackout (all lights off) and during day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons and blow the dino loose with a turkey baster and either siphon or net the loose dino and discard. At night, dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons- ALL THIS 5 days straight and you will have your tank back

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best and most effective method is to do a 5 day blackout (all lights off) and during day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons and blow the dino loose with a turkey baster and either siphon or net the loose dino and discard. At night, dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons- ALL THIS 5 days straight and you will have your tank back

What kind of bacteria are you thinking of? I raised my nitrate and phosphate up and then dosed waste away and eco balance in mine but no blackout.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What kind of bacteria are you thinking of? I raised my nitrate and phosphate up and then dosed waste away and eco balance in mine but no blackout.
Bacter 7

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you have. I had Ostreopsis which enters the water column when lights out. I fixed it with uv, nutrient dosing, adding gunk from established tank, and blowing / scrubbing slime off rocks + stirring sand before bed. No change to photoperiod or blackout. I didn’t care that it spread when I did that cause at night they’ll enter the water and die from UV. I believe the other types may not do the same, so in that case I wouldn’t scrub unless you can siphon at the same time. You’ll just spread it more while you wait for treatment to take effect.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like...taking a toothbrush and strapping it to a hose? and then doing a water change with the hose?

yeah I thought that would be a good tool for removing it from rocks and getting it out of the tank simultaneously. I've never seen anything like that though.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. That was my next move but I've heard mixed reviews. A lot of people said you also need to manually remove as many of the dinos as you can which is why I was considering this approach and addition to that.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. That was my next move but I've heard mixed reviews. A lot of people said you also need to manually remove as many of the dinos as you can which is why I was considering this approach and addition to that.
Yes- thats where turkey baster comes in

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- thats where turkey baster comes in

Do you use the baster to suck the dinos off the rock? Just double-checking since when I've blown them off they seem to disappear into the water column so hard to catch (but UV might get them though :)).

Also, I've never done a blackout so worried about corals. is it safe to go 5 days or should it still work if I go 3 or 4? Just worried about doing 5 days right out of the gates. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you use the baster to suck the dinos off the rock? Just double-checking since when I've blown them off they seem to disappear into the water column so hard to catch (but UV might get them though :)).

Also, I've never done a blackout so worried about corals. is it safe to go 5 days or should it still work if I go 3 or 4? Just worried about doing 5 days right out of the gates. Thanks.
Blackout is safe. For corals, you can go 5% BLUE.
Disappearing into into water column is ok. Clean the filters daily that is trapping it OR add a sock/stocking to catch the particle. Baster can be used to suck up dinos. I find it sucks up as much as it looses in the process

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackout is safe. For corals, you can go 5% BLUE.
Disappearing into into water column is ok. Clean the filters daily that is trapping it OR add a sock/stocking to catch the particle. Baster can be used to suck up dinos. I find it sucks up as much as it looses in the process

I currently don't have any filter socks but I have some 10 microns socks showing up in a week. Would you wait for them or do it now?

Also what do you mean by 5% blue? Are you saying to turn the lights down to 5% of the normal intensity of light and to just keep the blue lights on during the blackout? Or should I just turn off all the lights for 5 days. I have mainly LPS and SPS and I'm running Radion lights. Thanks for the clarification and all your help.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently don't have any filter socks but I have some 10 microns socks showing up in a week. Would you wait for them or do it now?

Also what do you mean by 5% blue? Are you saying to turn the lights down to 5% of the normal intensity of light and to just keep the blue lights on during the blackout? Or should I just turn off all the lights for 5 days. I have mainly LPS and SPS and I'm running Radion lights. Thanks for the clarification and all your help.
Ultimately off but you can go DOWN TO 5% total.
Sooner on entrapment the better, even a stocking will work.
Oh AND IMPORTANT- DO NOT feed any coral foods or add NoPox to tank as this is fuel for the Dino

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately off but you can go DOWN TO 5% total.
Sooner on entrapment the better, even a stocking will work.
Oh AND IMPORTANT- DO NOT feed any coral foods or add NoPox to tank as this is fuel for the Dino

I just bought some 10 micron filter socks to filter out dinos. Any suggestions on how to clean dinos out of a 10 micron filter sock? I'd preferably like to use the sock again in about 12 hours if possible. Thanks for the help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back