Manufacturer for LARGE tanks (400+ gallons)

Manufacturer for large 400+ gallon tank?

• Total voters

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

In about 8 months my girlfriend and I will be upgrading our 180 to around a 400-500 reef and in doing research I was curious about peoples experiences / opinions on two manufacturers we have narrowed it down to for now (open to others).

The two would be either glass cages with a 3/4" glass tank or customaquariums.com with 1/2" glass. Approximate dimensions would be 120 -144" long x 36-48" wide x 24" tall (girlfriend is short and can't reach much deeper than 24"). The tank is going on a concrete slab so weight is not an issue.

I have heard mixed reviews about both companies so I am coming to you all for advice. Thank you all in advanced for your insights, any info will be greatly appreciated as we are planning on this tank being with us for a long long time.

Blue-Tang-Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages definitely has a spotty record of quality, but I am more concerned with custom aquariums.com using 1/2" glass on a 400-500 aquarium. 10-12 feet long and 36-48 wide might benefit from 3/4" or 5/8" glass.

I would reach out to some of the top companies (Miracles, AGE) and see what their quotes are, as well as the thickness of glass that they would use.

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely reach out to both those, I haven't heard of AGE before so I'll definitely take a look. I'm willing to spend more money for a higher quality tank since we are planning on this tank sticking around for more than just a few years.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crystal dynamics is another brand you can look into.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Their tanks look beautiful, I’ll have to get a quote from them.
Yup, they are generally good and not that many complain. Their customer service is good too.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thickness of the glass being 1/2" from custom aquariums should not be a major concern. I would find out if they will be tempering the glass on that tank as they do this on some of their tanks. The tempering process will significantly strengthen the glass well beyond non tempered glass. I have purchased cut glass from glass cages before and I did not have any issues with my order but I have heard some issues with assembled tank purchases from glass cages.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my Reef Savvy. Some serious coin usually has to be spent on one of those (I won mine at MACNA), but their quality is top-tier for sure!

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep with crystal dynamics or Reef savvy. Crystal dynamics is super prompt and very easy to deal with. Always answers any questions in good time.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Aquariums will use thicker glass, if you want. They have substitution pricing up on their website.

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to go with a reef savvy but I can't justify spending 2-3x more on it than other manufacturers. But that may all change I'm waiting for some quotes from Crystal dynamics and miracles currently.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have tank in hand yet so can't say much about actual tank. But I have placed an order for a 180g 48x36x24 with custom aquariums (Lead time in January) Initially getting a hold of someone who could answer my questions was an issue but once contact was made they clearly answered all questions and the ordering process was smooth. Why I picked them: 1)Shipping directly to my house but as it turns out I only live about an hour away so we are picking up and saving $250 (Doing research it sounds like you have to meet glass cages along one of there pre-established routes) 2)Build Quality appears excellent. Rimmed tank is with aluminum brace (which is why in some cases then get away with thinner glass) I was lucky and got to inspect several of there tanks at my local LFS. 3) Cost and warranty 4) options 5) Plus and minus: lead time is long but they only ship fully cured tanks so this adds several weeks. Cons (so far): 1)Will only warranty tank if on there stands. I did not like their wood stands (just not my taste) so ordered one of their steel stands and will skim ourselves. Comparatively to others the steel stand is expensive and almost the same cost as the tank. But they did add a bottom brace for me to support sump at no additional cost. 2) Took almost a week to get schematics to sign off final approval of stand. Tank schematics and hole placement and such I had in hand the same day I placed the order.

I will update once I have tank in hand :)

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tour of customaquariums facility and building in case anyone haven't seen. Interesting to see how it's made. Not promoting just remembered this video when I read the post. :)

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have tank in hand yet so can't say much about actual tank. But I have placed an order for a 180g 48x36x24 with custom aquariums (Lead time in January) Initially getting a hold of someone who could answer my questions was an issue but once contact was made they clearly answered all questions and the ordering process was smooth. Why I picked them: 1)Shipping directly to my house but as it turns out I only live about an hour away so we are picking up and saving $250 (Doing research it sounds like you have to meet glass cages along one of there pre-established routes) 2)Build Quality appears excellent. Rimmed tank is with aluminum brace (which is why in some cases then get away with thinner glass) I was lucky and got to inspect several of there tanks at my local LFS. 3) Cost and warranty 4) options 5) Plus and minus: lead time is long but they only ship fully cured tanks so this adds several weeks. Cons (so far): 1)Will only warranty tank if on there stands. I did not like their wood stands (just not my taste) so ordered one of their steel stands and will skim ourselves. Comparatively to others the steel stand is expensive and almost the same cost as the tank. But they did add a bottom brace for me to support sump at no additional cost. 2) Took almost a week to get schematics to sign off final approval of stand. Tank schematics and hole placement and such I had in hand the same day I placed the order.

Awesome, I would definitely love to hear how the tank turns out. I'm fine without the warranty if not on their stands, seems like most companies do that. Shipping directly will be nice too, there is a pick up point near by me for glass cages but a 400+ gallon tank is gonna tank A LOT of people to move just to get it onto a van and saves alot of effort if it is directly to my house.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How did the tank come out and build quality?

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the tank come out and build quality?

I really like the tank. The only negative is the aluminum brace is not even at all the corners. There is no bowing to the tank at all. And fits perfectly on the stand. The glass and seams are excellent. The silicone in corners is very smooth and holding up beautifully. We picked up tank at facility and if I would do it again I would pay the shipping cost for them to crate it but still pick it up. On the drive home the tank kept sliding on the foam and pallet. I also wish we would have went with one more of the H20 overflows (we went with one and a stealth box--wish we would have went 2 for our size tank) I do like the overflow design as you can fill the tank right to the brace and nothing can go overtop the overflow because it is fully screened. The only negative is it does have to be cleaned frequently but this is very easy to do. We set up the stealth box with a bean animal style drain and varios 8 return pump. It is dead silent. The drilled holes are smooth. If I ever order another custom tank we would definitely go with this company again.
20180417_005726.jpg 20180417_005748.jpg 20180124_162235 (1).jpg 20180204_161457.jpg 20180219_153353.jpg 20180219_153635.jpg

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Tank looks great, I know I want 36" wide and 30" tall but length will be decided on cost and lighting. I like the dimensions of your tank!
I love the dimensions of my tank. Creates a lot of depth whichever way you look at it and does not feel like a wall of rock even though there is lots of rock in there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back