Mappa puffer with stomach air

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mappa puffer that’s ~25cm from nose to tail tip. I normally feed him a custom frozen food mix and frozen mussels, but I recently fed him some frozen oysters. The next day, and now for three days, he has a a ~5cm gas bubble in his stomach, causing him to be buoyant and, of course, stay hidden in his cave and not eat. Any suggestions on anything I can do to help, or just wait for him to expel it?

Btw, all food he gets is human grade, and if it wasn’t frozen when I bought it, I freeze it before feeding him.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Mappa puffer that’s ~25cm from nose to tail tip. I normally feed him a custom frozen food mix and frozen mussels, but I recently fed him some frozen oysters. The next day, and now for three days, he has a a ~5cm gas bubble in his stomach, causing him to be buoyant and, of course, stay hidden in his cave and not eat. Any suggestions on anything I can do to help, or just wait for him to expel it?
Are you able to post pics under white lighting ?
Can be constipation, digestive issue or bouyancy which Im not sure in effect here. If eating, you can feed it brine shrimp which acts as a laxative.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I didn’t know that about brine shrimp. He’s way too big for brine shrimp except maybe cubes which I could try (he’s nearly too big for cubes too)

I only use white lights, but I couldn’t get a decent photo of him in his cave, I can only tell the problem with a flashlight and when he’s in a position where I can see the problem. but right now he’s not eating or even coming out of his cave. About 2 years ago he had a prolapsed anus when he was a lot smaller, he was treated with anti inflammatories by a vet and made a full recovery, for full disclosure on his medical history ;)

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you try and gently burp him? Like you’d do a baby. Puffers can be prone to getting air bubbles trapped in them and this is one way to release them.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try and gently burp him? Like you’d do a baby. Puffers can be prone to getting air bubbles trapped in them and this is one way to release them.
thanks I’ve been wanting to but he hasn’t come out. I’ll see if I can poke him out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the location of the bubble? Is it offset to one side? Does it seem to move around?

Jay

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to burp him today, it’s definitely an air bubble. I can feel it moving around. It’s on the right side near his tail, about the size of a ping-pong ball. I don’t know how to get him to expel it though, I’ve never done this before. It’s quite close to the anus, so I tried putting him in the face down and massaging it, but no luck. Do I need to try for a long time, or do I need to put him face up so he will yep it out, any suggestions? He is still not happy and won’t eat. Thank you all.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to burp him today, it’s definitely an air bubble. I can feel it moving around. It’s on the right side near his tail, about the size of a ping-pong ball. I don’t know how to get him to expel it though, I’ve never done this before. It’s quite close to the anus, so I tried putting him in the face down and massaging it, but no luck. Do I need to try for a long time, or do I need to put him face up so he will yep it out, any suggestions? He is still not happy and won’t eat. Thank you all.
That’s why I asked those questions - this likely isn’t air in the stomach so you won’t be able to burp it out. It is more likely air under the skin, called Subcutaneous emphysema. The gas may have originated from the stomach, but it is trapped under the skin now. The only treatment would be needle aspiration, but that needs to be done under anesthesia. Small bubbles can resorb but this one sounds pretty large.

Jay

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok there is a vet nearby that can do this I think. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok there is a vet nearby that can do this I think. Thanks

Maybe a vet can help, but if they haven't worked with fish before, they may not know how to use anesthesia on them. MS-222 is the best material to use, but clove oil, eugenol, can also be used.

If you post a picture, I might get a better sense as to the severity of this.....

Jay

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here, most vets are trained and familiar with working on fish, but thankfully, he recovered on his own! Thanks for your help also :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here, most vets are trained and familiar with working on fish, but thankfully, he recovered on his own! Thanks for your help also :)

Great - do you know was the bubble released or did it reabsorb?

Jay

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great - do you know was the bubble released or did it reabsorb?

Jay
I don’t know, since he was difficult to observe in his cave. Suddenly he came out and it was gone. I had planned to take him to the vet the same day as we, but he’s fine now. Not sure if it was the frozen oysters or not, but that was the only deviation from his usual care routine, so I’ll be avoiding those just in case.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why but oyster and whole shell fish tend to be easily infected. I feed my Magnifica fresh oyster, unfrozen live human grade oyster and it got him sick.
I stop feeding my invertebrates shellfish other than scallops. I think I will stop feeding my fish shellfish all together.
I am glad your fish did well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding frozen New Zealand mussels, and that has seemed to be OK, but I agree with you, I think shellfish are risky

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back