View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
potm-thread-graphic-new-jpg.939632

Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month

Sponsored by Avast Marine!

This month's subject - Favorite fish Close up

Deadline to Enter: Mar 31, 2020at 11:59 pm (EST)

Looking forward to a versatile POTM this month, so many fish varieties and expecting amazing picture from all to do your favorite fish justice! Remember, the photo has to have been taken by you, and the Fish has to be in your aquarium, or the ocean.

This is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph. Yes, you can use a post-editing product to better your pictures. In fact, we encourage it.
Few tips:
- Zoom down on the fish or use cropping tool to get better close ups of your fish.
- Experiment with different composition to add dynamics and interest to your picture.
- Play with DOF using aperture to blur the background or have different effects
- Experiment with flash and shutter speeds to freeze the fish or to show a sense of motion as you desire for your end results.
- Cameras will offer a load of advantages over mobile phones for this month's topic: faster and better focusing which is key for fast moving subjects, ability to use external flash to freeze motion and overall better High ISO performance so get those DSLRs out!

As always refer to the multiple photography articles or post any questions you might have on the photography forum for better support. Maybe also post a few pictures for suggestions and critique to improve your shots wile preparing for this months contest as well.

Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)

How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:
  • Enter ONE photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
  • If you enter a second photo, it will be deleted so choose wisely before posting your entry
  • Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
  • Entries must be submitted before the deadline
  • Photo must be taken by you and in your tank or in the ocean
  • You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
  • Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
  • In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
Winner Selection:
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.

As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.

The Prize:

http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/top-down-porthole-smartphone-edition

Thanks to Avast Marine for sponsoring the R2R Photo of the month contest

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#POTM #Photographers #reefsquad #MODS #Fish

March 2020 POTM is up and running. Good luck all and let's see some great shots.
Please do share the following info about your submissions to make POTM a learning experience:

Tehnical info
- Camera/mobile phone used for the shot
- Lense
-parameters (aperture, shutter, speed Flash)

also do share:
choice of your subject
what makes it special
what made you choice the composition you went with
Any other elements that make you like the picture you took.

Last edited:

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard decision between my fish but I’d have to choose my Convict Tang as I’ve hand caught him myself and brought him home as a little baby that was still clear!
Technical info
-Camera: Canon EOS Rebel SL1
-Lens: Canon Zoom Lens EF-S
-ISO: 1000
Exposure: 1/30 @ 5.6f
Software: Google Snapseed

8BD1713F-FA3A-4396-8F64-E7430AE8CF25.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do share the following info about your submissions to make POTM a learning experience:

Tehnical info
- Camera/mobile phone used for the shot
- Lense
-parameters (aperture, shutter, speed Flash)

also do share:
choice of your subject
what makes it special
what made you choice the composition you went with
Any other elements that make you like the picture you took.

This is Purple Haze, the Purple Tang. He has a heck of a story so sit back and enjoy.

Technical info
Camera: Canon EOS 5Ds R
Lens: Canon EF 100 Macro IS USM 2.8
ISO: 1250
Exposure: 1/160 @ 2.8f
Software: Adobe Lightroom
The composition of the photo when photographing fish in an aquarium isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. I think it can be pure luck to get the ideal shot. In the picture below it took close to 22 shots of my tang to get one where his head was in focus. I probably could have improved my chances by increasing the F-stop but I needed all the light I could get to capture at the speed I needed to freeze movement.

The Story of Purple Haze
When I first got into Marine fish it was in 1988. I was on active duty in the Air Force and was keeping marine fish in both a 55 and 90g tanks for a few months. It was during this time that I saw my first Purple Tang. I was mesmerized; the fish was an amazing color of purple with equally stunning yellow accents. These two colors coincidentally are favorites of my wife and myself; at the time this magnificent fish was out of reach for us.

Shortly after our visit to the fish store I was told that I was going to be a father. This amazing piece of news meant that meant the Marine fish hobby had to be delayed at least for now. As a family we would still visit fish stores, aquariums and any place I could go to get a glimpse of the marine fish I loved. When I would see a Purple Tang it would make the outing even more special for me.

Fast forward 28 years, my daughter is in the Navy and I'm retired from the Air Force. We have settled in a more permanent home and my wife and I made the decision to get into reefing. This time though there would be no messing around with tiny tanks and I was going to get the one fish I had watched and wanted for so many years. So I built up my tank a Red Sea 625XXL and started stocking it with fish.

I had a grand plan of adding fish in a particular order so I could top things off with a Purple Tang also I was getting my fish pre-quarantined from @Humblefish. I told him of my interest in getting a Purple Tang and my timeline on when I wanted to add it. During this time he had been treating a Purple Tang that had ammonia poisoning and was blinded. Humblefish had been doing his magic on this fish and and it regained it's eyesight. After talking some more Humblefish and I came to the conclusion that this Purple Tang would find a home with me, quickly altering my time line of when to add a large Purple Tang to my tank. As we know in reefing, timelines and plans sometimes require flexibility and frequently just don't go the way we want.

The wife knew my story and the story of the fish. She came up with the name Purple Haze considering the back ground of the fish.

And here he is:

Purplehaze-2265.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Purple Haze, the Purple Tang. He has a heck of a story so sit back and enjoy.

Technical info
Camera: Canon EOS 5Ds R
Lens: Canon EF 100 Macro IS USM 2.8
ISO: 1250
Exposure: 1/160 @ 2.8f
The composition of the photo when photographing fish in an aquarium isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. I think it can be pure luck to get the ideal shot. In the picture below it took close to 22 shots of my tang to get one where his head was in focus. I probably could have improved my chances by increasing the F-stop but I needed all the light I could get to capture at the speed I needed to freeze movement.

The Story of Purple Haze
When I first got into Marine fish it was in 1988. I was on active duty in the Air Force and was keeping marine fish in both a 55 and 90g tanks for a few months. I twas during this time that I saw my first Purple Tang. I was mesmerized; the fish was an amazing color of purple with equally stunning yellow accents. These two colors coincidentally are favorites of my wife and myself my and my wife; at the time this magnificent fish was out of reach for us.

Shortly after our visit to the fish store I was told that I was going to be a father. This amazing piece of news meant that meant the Marine fish hobby had to be delayed at least for now. As a family we would still visit fish stores, aquariums and any place I could go to get a glimpse of the marine fish I loved. When I would see a Purple Tang it would make the outing even more special for me.

Fast forward 28 years, my daughter is in the Navy and I'm retired from the Air Force. We have settled in a more permanent home and my wife and I made the decision to get into reefing. This time though there would be no messing around with tiny tanks and I was going to get the one fish I had watched and wanted for so many years. So I built up my tank a Red Sea 625XXL and started stocking it with fish.

I had a grand plan of adding fish in a particular order so I could top things off with a Purple Tang also I was getting my fish pre-quarantined from @Humblefish. I told him of my interest in getting a Purple Tang and my timeline on when I wanted to add it. During this time he had been treating a Purple Tang that had ammonia poisoning and was blinded. Humblefish had been doing his magic on this fish and and it regained it's eyesight. After talking some more Humblefish and I came to the conclusion that this Purple Tang would find a home with me, quickly altering my time line of when to add a large Purple Tang to my tank. As we know in reefing, timelines and plans sometimes require flexibility and frequently just don't go the way we want.

The wife knew my story and the story of the fish. She came up with the name Purple Haze considering the back ground of the fish.

And here he is:

Purplehaze-2265.jpg
What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. This is indeed what makes a subject so special and a pic.much more valuable!

Last edited:

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me this is one of the toughest photos to choose, I have both the emperor Angelfish and scribbled angelfish.
The Emperor is the second oldest fish in my tank , and I watched it change from a tiny baby to a beautiful full Adult.

I love my Emperor Angel and I consider it as a part of my family. however I post every now and then some photos of the emperor Angel, in Addition to an article here on Reef2Reef just about him. So this time I am giving the chance to another fish.

The newcomer the scribbled angelfish is one of the first fishes I dreamed about keeping it in my reef tank. its rarely aviable here in our region. so after years of search and waiting I finally got one last month. for me the scribbled angel is a dream come true.

You can check my build thread for the emperor photos, and many more.

49595502653_cbc49bcf41_k.jpg

1583391066331.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
14" Vlamingi Tang
1583336239576.png

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not much of a photographer but love this pic of Lenny our Molly Miller Blenny. Used galaxy 7 in pro mode.He has attitude and spunk to spare. Every once in a while between jetting around he perch’s close enough to watch his humans thru the glass
208E4001-A211-4339-9A17-8E57D1323C2A.jpeg

Camaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
potm-thread-graphic-new-jpg.939632

Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month

Sponsored by Avast Marine!

Deadline to Enter: Mar 31, 2020at 11:59 pm (EST)

Looking forward to a versatile POTM this month, so many fish varieties and expecting amazing picture from all to do your favorite fish justice! Remember, the photo has to have been taken by you, and the Fish has to be in your aquarium, or the ocean.

This is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph. Yes, you can use a post-editing product to better your pictures. In fact, we encourage it.
Few tips:
- Zoom down on the fish or use cropping tool to get better close ups of your fish.
- Experiment with different composition to add dynamics and interest to your picture.
- Play with DOF using aperture to blur the background or have different effects
- Experiment with flash and shutter speeds to freeze the fish or to show a sense of motion as you desire for your end results.
- Cameras will offer a load of advantages over mobile phones for this month's topic: faster and better focusing which is key for fast moving subjects, ability to use external flash to freeze motion and overall better High ISO performance so get those DSLRs out!

As always refer to the multiple photography articles or post any questions you might have on the photography forum for better support. Maybe also post a few pictures for suggestions and critique to improve your shots wile preparing for this months contest as well.

Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)

How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:
  • Enter ONE photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
  • If you enter a second photo, it will be deleted so choose wisely before posting your entry
  • Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
  • Entries must be submitted before the deadline
  • Photo must be taken by you and in your tank or in the ocean
  • You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
  • Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
  • In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
Winner Selection:
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.

As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.

The Prize:

http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/top-down-porthole-smartphone-edition

Thanks to Avast Marine for sponsoring the R2R Photo of the month contest
6E445BCC-85E9-4A9F-B22C-4810E901EC47.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back