Marco reef rock cycle

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought 45lbs of Marco and cycled it in a brute for 2 1/2 months while I gathered together everything for my build. The tanks been up and running for a week now and (aside from a constant splashing of water around my filter canisters) I’m fairly happy with how it’s turned out. Except... I felt like I needed one last piece of rock to satisfy the aquascape I had in my mind. So I ordered a Marco pedestal rock from BRS and it arrived today. Now my ammonia is still at .25 so the tank isn’t fully cycled. I plan on running without lights for at least another a few weeks.
Question: Can I just rinse the pedestal in RODI and add it into the aquascape? Will it possibly stall the cycle? Should I Brute it first?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse the rock and put it in.
API test kit?
I think your tank is cycled
Whats the nitrate level?

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse the rock and put it in.
API test kit?
I think your tank is cycled
Whats the nitrate level?
Yeah it’s an API. I’ve ordered the Red Sea kits but they won’t be here till Thursday.
Ammonia- 25
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 20

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is regarding how you cycled in the brute did you add usual bottle bac and some liquid ammonia or did rocks just sit in water

most would’ve added the boosters

but if it’s just sat there, you have an interesting arrangement to test for bac life as unboosted cycles have not been measured in reefing.

nobody has data on whether or not rocks sitting in saltwater take on enough contaminations and natural seeding to self cycle. The going notion is that they cannot self-cycle, but then again it’s a dirty world lol. If you boosted them they’re done like Lapin said, two mos is double the time factor of all google cycling charts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is regarding how you cycled in the brute did you add usual bottle bac and some liquid ammonia or did rocks just sit in water

most would’ve added the boosters

but if it’s just sat there, you have an interesting arrangement to test for bac life as unboosted cycles have not been measured in reefing.

nobody has data on whether or not rocks sitting in saltwater take on enough contaminations and natural seeding to self cycle. The going notion is that they cannot self-cycle, but then again it’s a dirty world lol. If you boosted them they’re done like Lapin said, two mos is double the time factor of all google cycling charts.
Micobactor7 and ammonia drops. Heater and a power head. From Nov 15th until last Sunday.

Back