Marco Rock, Pukani or Aqua Maxx Eco Dry Rock?

Which white dry rock would you choose?

• Marco Rock - Sounds Italian so must look good.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Pukani - Because everything on BRS videos just seems cool.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Aqua Maxx Eco Rock - Because it's shipped in a Prius

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JoshF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided that today would be a good day to purchase another tank. I am going to be building a Red Sea Reefer 425 XL. Looking to do an aquascape that's open for fish to swim through big arches but also want adequate coral placement options. This one is going to be built with white dry rock and I am deciding between Marco Rock, Pukani or Aqua Maxx. I want to be able to cut and chisel the rock into smaller sizes in order to cement pieces together for the design. It needs to be something thats was to cut. Pukani is good for that and I have been able to saw right through. The only thing I don't like is that there are some huge holes and some rocks let my fish hide in it all day. I don't have experience with the others besides seeing some Marco Rock at Reefapalooza. For those of you that have tried one of these would you please share any feedback. Thanks!

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I know you will like the reefer. Check out the reefer series thread to get some ideas. I vote Marco since you want to cut it. Have you seen the prime cuts in person? Don't know if he displayed it at the reefapalooza you've been to. It looks like great stuff when you can get shelves in your rockwork. Otherwise, you cant go wrong with brs pukani.

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani....very porous and light, and provides an excellent breeding ground for pods with many caves, crevices, and holes that are available. Can also be shaped rather easily using a chisel, in fact BRS has a video on doing just that.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani. Frankly this is the only rock worth putting in a quality reef tank. Fiji is ok, but Pukani is that much better. Tonga has its place for some reefers aquascape and stuff like that but has little value as Live Rock honesty.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used Marco and reefcleaners rock. Both are great! Light, porous, easy to break apart with a chisel, and easy to attach frags to.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Marco and love it. Tons of holes for critters to crawl into and attach corals in.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Reef Saver and Reefcleaners rock are both great! They both interlock very well and you can make all kinds of archs and such without having to glue or epoxy them. I've used a hammer and chisel on them with no problem. I'm sure you could cut them fairly easily too.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using reef cleaner rock in my reefer 250, used marco rocks on my last tank. I think the reef cleaner rock is more porous as mentioned above.

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am partial to Pukani, its light, porous, and each piece has it own character. The bio capabilities is and added extra. I used about 30lbs of BRS reef saver in a 50g holding tank, its ok but look like plain old base rock. I have about 180lbs. of pukani in a 150g and love it.

PupChow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Pukani and ReefCleaners, my vote goes to Pukani! Incredibly light and porous, tremendous value. Great for over-ordering and cherry picking what you want. Here is what my 25# order looked like, I was only expecting maybe 5 or 6 pieces of rock max...

OP
OP
J

JoshF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with Marco rock. The owner of the company was super helpful and spent about 15 minutes with me on the phone discussing the product and which rocks I should order. I will post future updates on the tank build.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back