MarcoRocks Rinse

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, all! I just finished mortaring the scape for my soon to arrive Waterbox 130.4. On the MarcoRocks website, it says you can rinse under running water. Regretting that I didn’t do the rinse prior to mortaring everything. My question...Can this be done with city tap water if I let it dry for a couple weeks before my tank arrives? Just want to make sure there won’t be any negative effects on water chemistry if I do this rinse with non RO/DI water.
027A42CA-531D-4DAB-9058-4BCB3FFB75FD.jpeg

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rinse with tap, but some of the TDS in the tap will likely still end up in the pores of the rock. If you haven't even cycled yet this probably won't be an issue. Before rinsing anything with tap I check my municipality's water website to make sure there's been no chloramines or excessive heavy metals recently. Regardless of how many times I rinse, I always get an algae bloom after using Marco cement, but I don't mind since it's the best way to have a solid, structurally secure aquascape.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can rinse with tap, but some of the TDS in the tap will likely still end up in the pores of the rock. If you haven't even cycled yet this probably won't be an issue. Before rinsing anything with tap I check my municipality's water website to make sure there's been no chloramines or excessive heavy metals recently. Regardless of how many times I rinse, I always get an algae bloom after using Marco cement, but I don't mind since it's the best way to have a solid, structurally secure aquascape.
I haven’t cycled, so I have to weigh the risk of TDS reminants versus dust in my new system. Hmmm.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would you be okay rinsing with these numbers? They are from my municipalities most recent report online (2018).
43C70A49-3A93-4B40-B39B-120AB510077D.jpeg
AF7BE403-807D-40BB-BEC5-E3ED4BAA0B12.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think it should be fine. The extremely low amount of contaminants you may introduce into that large tank from the city water is negligible. Awesome scape by the way!

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of tap water residue that will end in your tank is so negligible I wouldn't even worry. If you really want to do it I guess you can have a small RO/DI container in which you'll dip them after the rinse.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back