Marginalis Butterfly and Yellow Tang

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I will be receiving my new Marginalis Butterfly this Friday from TSM Aquatics (love this place). They told me he is eating very well and my only concern is my Yellow Tang. Tank is 4 feet. Marginalis is 5-6 inches and Yellow Tang is 4-5 inches, so I'm hoping the tang's slightly smaller size will keep him from acting up. In order to reduce any possible aggression, I am considering the following options:

1. Marginalis right into tank with Yellow Tang and observe
2. Marginalis into acclimation box for Yellow Tang to get used to him
3. Yellow Tang into acclimation box and Marginalis into tank
4. Both fish into acclimation box with divider

Which option do you feel would be best? BTW, I'm itching to try out my new acclimation box from Octo Aquatics.

1610570584994.png
1610571380405.png

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make good use of the box as your itching to do and do 2 then 3 :cool:

Whichever way you go 2 or 3, i think the acclimation box is the best way to go. Wish you well! Marginalis are beautiful fish!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got released CBB to my tank with purple , yellow , fox face , kole , powder blue .
Even though the marginalia is eating with TSM , I would definitely put him in acclimation box and feed your food .
This gives chance to yellow tang to know him and also the butterfly to get used to your tank water , lighting , feeding habits . Around 3 days is generally fine .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So most responses are to capture my Yellow Tang and put him in the acclimation box and put the new Marginalis into the tank. However, Abhishek would definitely put the new Marginalis in the acclimation box. Hmmm...Decisions, decisions!

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I introduced the Regal Angel the Yellow Tang was the only issue. I didn't keep the Regal in the acclimation box long. Ended up dividing the tank with a partition until the tang got over it and the Regal was comfortable.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I am at a crossroads. I put the new marginalis butterfly fish into the acclimation box for two days, the yellow tang did not seem to care, and I released the fish. As soon as I released him, the yellow tang begin harassing the butterfly fish for a full day until I decided to capture the yellow tang and give him a time out in the acclimation box. This has worked out great for the past few days as the butterfly fish is now swimming all over the tank and eating very well.

My question is...How long would you keep the yellow tang in the acclimation box? Please note the yellow tang was extremely difficult to catch and I needed the assistance of both my wife and son to do so. Also, the butterfly fish only began eating once the yellow tang was in time out. I’m really hoping they get used to each other and I don’t have to rehome one of them.

DA34920C-7803-4062-8D72-488300759055.jpeg

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am at a crossroads. I put the new marginalis butterfly fish into the acclimation box for two days, the yellow tang did not seem to care, and I released the fish. As soon as I released him, the yellow tang begin harassing the butterfly fish for a full day until I decided to capture the yellow tang and give him a time out in the acclimation box. This has worked out great for the past few days as the butterfly fish is now swimming all over the tank and eating very well.

My question is...How long would you keep the yellow tang in the acclimation box? Please note the yellow tang was extremely difficult to catch and I needed the assistance of both my wife and son to do so. Also, the butterfly fish only began eating once the yellow tang was in time out. I’m really hoping they get used to each other and I don’t have to rehome one of them.

DA34920C-7803-4062-8D72-488300759055.jpeg
I recently went through similar process though it was a copperband and yellow tang. I chose the divider, as I had a big tank (280 gallons cut in half) and it was easiest. After a couple weeks the CBB kept trying to get to the other side and eventually did when my maroon fanned some gravel away and it went under. The two had been introduced a few times and separated when the tang got nasty. I kept them divided for over a month and then one day the cbb got through again and got a nasty gash from the tang. The tang is now gone and the cbb has healed. I'd get the tang out and let the butterfly get established, rearrange the rocks, and add the tang in a few weeks minimum.

Also, a trick to catch tangs, if they are eating nori is to build a box with a hinge. Don't feed it for a day and let it get used to eating nori inside the box for a few days then pull the lid shut with string when it has gotten used to eating in the box. Worked for me in a few days time.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back