Maricultured vs Aquacultured vs Wild Collected: Which do you prefer?

Maricultured vs Aquacultured vs Wild Collected Corals: Which do you prefer?

• Maricultured

Votes: 56 11.3%
  • Aquacultured

Votes: 424 85.7%
  • Wild Collected

Votes: 15 3.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks to @Dolphins18 for the QOTD idea!

When it comes to corals there are three terms we use to label them. Maricultured, Aquacultured, and Wild Collected. The following definitions will vary somewhat but this is in my terms!

Maricultured - Corals that are grown from frags of wild colonies but are grown within the ocean in a controlled environment.
Aquacultured - Corals that have been grown out in captivity for an extended amount of time and have adapted to captivity.
Wild Collected - Corals collected straight from the ocean and then shipped to suppliers.

So let's talk about it!

1. Maricultured vs Aquacultured vs Wild Collected: Which do you prefer and why?

2. How do you take the proper steps to ensure your getting the type of coral you prefer?

3. What are some advantages and disadvantages of these three types of coral?

dsc00108-980x735.jpg

Coral mariculture at the Eilat’s mid-water floating nursery (10 m depth): new colonies are generated from small fragments (left in the photo) and reared until developed to large colonies ready for transplantation (right). Photo © Y. Horoszowski-Fridman

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully, I choose my corals based on a) what I can afford, b) what type of coral it is and c) whether it’s aesthetically-pleasing or not. Where it originates from doesn’t really enter into the equation.

Most of my existing corals are wild-collected (which is what I voted for), but I also have a lot of paly/zoa frags that I’m sure were aquacultured.

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given a choice I'll go with Maricultured. I think we need to start becoming self-sustaining as an industry, and this (and aquacultured) is probably the way forward for that. With coral dying off at the rate it is (we now have half of what we had in the 50's) it could be that we *only* get aquacultured in future... While we can, I'd like to preserve the "grown in the sea" variety.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer aquacultured. They tend to do a lot better in my tank than wild collected or maricultured. Ethically speaking, I don't care for wild collected at all.

In the past, price was generally the deciding factor in a purchase. And generally, that meant I was going with aquacultured anyway as the best deals were mostly from local reefers. But now I actively seek out aquacultured corals.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First price and what I like. Then I try to find if it's aguacultured. I believe it would have a better success rate. If not I would look to maricultured.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep the feedback coming!

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What really defines what aquaculture is? I define it as grown under artificial light and articial seawater. Growing with sunlight using a seawater well is mariculture to me (while in a greenhouse).

In reality aquacuture frags over 3" should mostly be sold if hobby was very successful.

The challenge now is aquicultured by dead rock and LEDs. It is a step harder than before like it or not.

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer aquacultured especially when dealing with acros and sps. They seem to do better and there isn't as big of an adjustment. If I had a best case option its is also bought locally and not having to deal with shipping. Another advantage is you already have some idea of what it will look like under aquarium lighting

That being said I do have 1 maricultured acro colony that is doing well had it a little over a month so I also wouldn't be against these options, wish I could find some locally. But I am sure over time it will change in appearance.

I just don't think I am likely to buy a wild caught coral, there just are too many other more sustainable options. I would guess success rate drops as well

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer Aquacultured by far. This is due to my life experience and seeing reefs be destroyed by unknowing tourist.

Honestly though, I have no idea on how to ensure something is Aquacultured besides buying from local reefers.

How does everyone check this information?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like maricultured. Once I found out what it was. I was thrilled. These are farmable fake reefs with so many benefits. Fish can go there and spawn, if allowed and given time, corals can spawn as well. Who knows what all these guys really do.

Next up aquacultured. Some corals I have learned to just buy from a grower. Example, torches. A lot of these don't do well coming in from the wild. I have had mostly doa. I have yet to buy one from a grower and have it shipped though.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer aquacultured. About 3/4 my tank is known wild. The remaining mix I believe is aquacultured however (could simply be chop shop frag wholesaler selling to LFS so really could just be wild on a frag plug)

x19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I decided to return to the hobby I decided that it'll be 100% captive bred, fish and corals. This absolutely limits my choices, but I'm totally willing to accept that. The global reef ecosystem is dying, and we cannot continue harvesting the few wild animals that remain.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both.
I do like wild imports and watching them journey to Aquacutltured.
I like Aquacultured as well. To me that simply means the coral has been proven and stood the test of time and is hardy enough to take our abuse in the hobby.
Absoloutely disagree about taking from the Ocean. I'm in exact opposite camp on that. Soon enough they will all be gone. So collect as many as you can now and take care of them before its too late:)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back