Maricultured vs Aquacultured vs Wild Collected: Which do you prefer?

Maricultured vs Aquacultured vs Wild Collected Corals: Which do you prefer?

• Maricultured

Votes: 56 11.3%
  • Aquacultured

Votes: 424 85.7%
  • Wild Collected

Votes: 15 3.0%

• Total voters

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote aquaculture for a couple reasons. First as has been pointed out, lessens the negative affects on the environment. I feel that aquacultered has the best chance of adaptation to my tank situation. Corals having already been growing under artificial conditions. I actually try to purchase frags that have been grown under similar lighting as mine, so I ask if they have been grown under radions. Also, I think even small commerical growers, worry about intruducing parasites and nasties to their own set ups, so that takes some of the worry out of introducing same to my system. Quarantine or dipping notwithstanding. I think one of the reasons we are having more success with corals that are becoming common, is that they might be so many generations down the line growing in artificial conditions, that they have genetically started to adapt to artificial lighting etc.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely prefer aqua cultured, since the fish seem to eat quick and are used to aquarium conditions. However, I find that wild caught fish are more robust and their colors just pop! Aquacultured fish usually look 'washed' out. Iit could be a diet related issue but who knows.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back