Marine depot overflow box leak. Help!

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I have a Marine depot overflow box, and it leaks. I have it internal weir, which has a gasket inside, gasket,glass,box. How should I fix it everything is as tight as possible. Please help.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics?
The leak slowed down know. No water dripping, but their is some water between the box and the glass outside the tank.

image.jpg

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bye those drops you see are paint, I suck at painting and it left drops, those aren’t water.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just keep an eye on it. As a "plan B" I would get some aquarium safe clear silicone and have handy. If it starts leaking again, pull the bulkhead apart and put a small bead of silicone on both sides of glass. Make sure glass is dry, let silicone "skin" up for an hour or two then reassemble. I've seen on occasion people over tighten bulkheads and crush rubber washer, it deforms just enough to leak.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just keep an eye on it. As a "plan B" I would get some aquarium safe clear silicone and have handy. If it starts leaking again, pull the bulkhead apart and put a small bead of silicone on both sides of glass. Make sure glass is dry, let silicone "skin" up for an hour or two then reassemble. I've seen on occasion people over tighten bulkheads and crush rubber washer, it deforms just enough to leak.
Ok.

Reefin Ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the bulkhead is tightened properly of course(finger tight and possibly a quaarter turn more but careful to not overtighten). I'm assuming you have it properly tightened but just mentioning in case.

I almost bought one myself and read the reviews for them. I remember reading a review on their site for it that MIGHT be related to your issue. There is only one review on the small one so this could totally just be this one guys experience but figured I would quote him just in case: "This package was a good deal and works as expected. It came with almost everything needed except one gasket. You see it comes with two gaskets one for each side of the glass. However, the inside on is on the bulkhead and cannot be removed. So on the inside of your tank there is nothing but the acrylic box next to the glass. The gasket is inside the inner box...not good. I simply added a bead of silicone between the inner inner box and the glass and that sealed it perfectly. Make sure you given the the 1 inch bulkheads and extra 1/4 turn before you put the tank in place "- Via marine depot reviews

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the bulkhead is tightened properly of course(finger tight and possibly a quaarter turn more but careful to not overtighten). I'm assuming you have it properly tightened but just mentioning in case.

I almost bought one myself and read the reviews for them. I remember reading a review on their site for it that MIGHT be related to your issue. There is only one review on the small one so this could totally just be this one guys experience but figured I would quote him just in case: "This package was a good deal and works as expected. It came with almost everything needed except one gasket. You see it comes with two gaskets one for each side of the glass. However, the inside on is on the bulkhead and cannot be removed. So on the inside of your tank there is nothing but the acrylic box next to the glass. The gasket is inside the inner box...not good. I simply added a bead of silicone between the inner inner box and the glass and that sealed it perfectly. Make sure you given the the 1 inch bulkheads and extra 1/4 turn before you put the tank in place "- Via marine depot reviews
Yeah, I dint think it was a problem with the order, that’s just how they make them, I contacted them. I took it apart and cleaned the gasket, and know it doesn’t leak, hopefully it stays this way.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a thin layer of food safe silicone grease on bulkhead gaskets. It both prevents leaks, and lets them "slip" while tightening the bulkhead and sealing evenly.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it's poorly assembled. The gaskets should be one on each side of the glass. Having one on the bulkhead inside the front box does nothing to seal the inner box against the glass.
Order should be;
Front box with bulkhead, gasket, glass, gasket, back box with nut inside.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it's poorly assembled. The gaskets should be one on each side of the glass. Having one on the bulkhead inside the front box does nothing to seal the inner box against the glass.
Order should be;
Front box with bulkhead, gasket, glass, gasket, back box with nut inside.
I only have one free gasket the other one came attached to the nut inisde the inner weir.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask them to send the required missing gasket to go between the inner box and glass.
What the design is asking for right now is that you create a watertight seal with just acrylic against glass. I'd not trust it long-term even if it seals right now.

If they won't help you with a gasket, find a gasket/seal company near you and ask for a piece of 1/8" Buna-N from an off-cut where they've made some industrial gaskets. Local to me there are 2 companies here in Canada who throw out large amounts of suitable small off-cuts on a regular basis.
I gave them $10 cash for their coffee/beer fund and they gave me 2 pieces of 6" dia discs.

If you use the Buna-N, after cutting your new seal, wash with soap and water to remove all the production releasing agent

Last edited:

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a properly installed gasket between the glass aquarium and outer box, then you should have no leakage outside the aquarium. While the other gaskets will assure water doesn’t make it through the threads, shouldn’t be absolutely necessary.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a properly installed gasket between the glass aquarium and outer box, then you should have no leakage outside the aquarium. While the other gaskets will assure water doesn’t make it through the threads, shouldn’t be absolutely necessary.
You're absolutely right, and is probably why this brand is shipped the way it is.
I should have clarified that I prefer so see an inner gasket as it will hold the tank water level at the weir height during a return pump off event. It's not a big deal, but knowing what amount of DT water your sump can handle may affect the decision to install an inner gasket.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought another gasket to add to the other side, as it was leaking again. But it still leaks.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that the gasket between the tank and outside box has failed. You’ll probably have to pull it all apart, inspect and reassemble. Can’t remember if you have a rubber gasket on the nut side but you shouldn’t have one there. A gasket won’t let you tighten properly. Plastic washer is fine but not needed.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that the gasket between the tank and outside box has failed. You’ll probably have to pull it all apart, inspect and reassemble. Can’t remember if you have a rubber gasket on the nut side but you shouldn’t have one there. A gasket won’t let you tighten properly. Plastic washer is fine but not needed.
False alarm the water was there from before. Doesn’t seem to be leaking, but will test till Sunday.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do when I'm checking for leaks that may or may not be there, intermittent or just too slow to see is tape a paper towel right underneath the area. You'll easily be able to see if it got wet, even if it's dried up before you looked.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do when I'm checking for leaks that may or may not be there, intermittent or just too slow to see is tape a paper towel right underneath the area. You'll easily be able to see if it got wet, even if it's dried up before you looked.
I also have a leak detector right underneath the overflow so I would get notified if it dripped onto it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back