Marine Depot whats up with shipping charges?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I love your website and I buy a lot of stuff from MD but I am getting frustrated with the free shipping on orders over $39 that suddenly changes to $2.99 for expedite shipping. The moment I press check out for some reason it defaults to the extra $2.99 for faster shipping and that is a minor thing but even after I change it to regular shipping and it shows $0 when I go to finalize the order the $2.99 is back on it again. I again deselect it and then when I make the final payment with PayPal and it returns me to the MD website to Review the order and press the last finalization button the $2.99 is back once again, so I have to deselect it again.
If I don't pay attention up until the last step the $2.99 Expedite fee is going to get tacked on. So that is three times you have to change it back to $0 or else you pay the extra $2.99!

Now normally I might not have an issue with this but the extra $2.99 does nothing to make the package arrive any faster. It seems to take the same amount of days with or without it. Out of about 6 orders I made in 2020 I got caught paying the expedite shipping on two of them. I know $2.99 is not a big deal and I don't want a refund, but I am asking the your IT department please fix it so that the customer do not have to deselect it three times during the checkout process.
It's a minor issue but it's just not right.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
NFL.com does the same thing. To me, it's a form of fraud. At the very least, it's an underhanded business practice. Think how many don't notice and the thousands of dollars they make off that one deception. If a company is willing to do that to pad their profits, what else are they doing?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I love your website and I buy a lot of stuff from MD but I am getting frustrated with the free shipping on orders over $39 that suddenly changes to $2.99 for expedite shipping. The moment I press check out for some reason it defaults to the extra $2.99 for faster shipping and that is a minor thing but even after I change it to regular shipping and it shows $0 when I go to finalize the order the $2.99 is back on it again. I again deselect it and then when I make the final payment with PayPal and it returns me to the MD website to Review the order and press the last finalization button the $2.99 is back once again, so I have to deselect it again.
If I don't pay attention up until the last step the $2.99 Expedite fee is going to get tacked on. So that is three times you have to change it back to $0 or else you pay the extra $2.99!

Now normally I might not have an issue with this but the extra $2.99 does nothing to make the package arrive any faster. It seems to take the same amount of days with or without it. Out of about 6 orders I made in 2020 I got caught paying the expedite shipping on two of them. I know $2.99 is not a big deal and I don't want a refund, but I am asking the your IT department please fix it so that the customer do not have to deselect it three times during the checkout process.
It's a minor issue but it's just not right.

Contact them directly and confront them. It could be a glitch in their system. I say that "tongue in cheek" because it's possible they are trying to pull a fast one. I try to give any company the benefit of the doubt before letting accusations fly.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Contact them directly and confront them. It could be a glitch in their system. I say that "tongue in cheek" because it's possible they are trying to pull a fast one. I try to give any company the benefit of the doubt before letting accusations fly.
If these are honest mistakes, the law of averages says 1/2 would be in your favor.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
I deselected the option and it took ten days for a simple bottle ruby rally to appear as if they punished me, then the bottle appeared Leaking !
When I order something like rally or copper, it is obvious I need it ASAP . . NOT TEN DAYS LATER. I always got my goods in 2-3 days.
THAT ALSO WAS THE LAST ORDER I PLACED WITH THEM and now my loyalty is with BRS although it aleready was.

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
I deselected the option and it took ten days for a simple bottle ruby rally to appear as if they punished me, then the bottle appeared Leaking !
When I order something like rally or copper, it is obvious I need it ASAP . . NOT TEN DAYS LATER. I always got my goods in 2-3 days.
THAT ALSO WAS THE LAST ORDER I PLACED WITH THEM and now my loyalty is with BRS although it aleready was.
BRS all day might be a bit biased as I'm in MN but it only takes 2-3 days to get to me with non expedited shipping

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Interested to see how this unfolds.
Honestly for $2.99 I am not going to hold for one hour while they direct me to the right person.
My experience has been 3-5 days shipping no matter what option I use. For those that don't have the problem it might be due to the fact that you have a CC registered on your account and that eliminates one of the steps, maybe two. I don't give out my CC number unless I have to. If there is a PayPal option I will always go with that in order to have the extra protection in a dispute. Yes I have a registered account with MD and I get all the promo emails every week.

Last edited:

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Honestly for $2.99 I am not going to hold for one hour while thy direct me to the right person.
My experience has been 3-5 days shipping no matter what option I got. For those that don't have the problem it might be due to the fact that you have a CC registered on your account and that eliminates one of the steps, maybe two. I don't give out my CC number unless I have to. If there is a PayPal option I will go always go with that in order to have the extra protection in a dispute. Yes I have a registered account with MD and I get all the promo emails every week.
I feel you on the PayPal thing, I had someone try to scam be this year about it but I went through paypal so he got screwed over

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Nah, I did a brs order the other day and had to deselect it for free shipping.

Funny thing is, 2 hours after I placed my order my buddy up the road placed an order for the same exact thing, he got took for the extra shipping and his package arrived 2 days earlier.

I'm not sure if that was coincidence or not but I was curious why he got his faster than me. After discussing it his total was a few dollars more than mine.

@robbyg I'm sure the extra $2 would've gotten the package to you quicker.

But you're right that they need to fix that on their end.

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Kind ticked at BRS too cause I have something that is $38 in my cart and I LITERALLY need $1 more in product for free shipping.....stupid new rate for the EXACT SAME SHIPPING

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Honestly for $2.99 I am not going to hold for one hour while thy direct me to the right person.
My experience has been 3-5 days shipping no matter what option I got. For those that don't have the problem it might be due to the fact that you have a CC registered on your account and that eliminates one of the steps, maybe two. I don't give out my CC number unless I have to. If there is a PayPal option I will go always go with that in order to have the extra protection in a dispute. Yes I have a registered account with MD and I get all the promo emails every week.
Just went to check out at BRS and it did the same, automatic $2.99 opposed to the free option

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Kind ticked at BRS too cause I have something that is $38 in my cart and I LITERALLY need $1 more in product for free shipping.....stupid new rate for the EXACT SAME SHIPPING
LOL yes I have been in that situation a few times. It may be $5 or $10 more that I need to get the shipping to go away. I now have a lot of spare John Guest fittings ;) because of this.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
the OP says in their post the extra payment doesn’t guarantee that in their experience.
And I offered an anecdote that suggest it does. Saying that it doesn't have an effect based on 6 different occasions is purely speculative. Different days different staff, varying shipment loads, pickup times, how overwhelmed the shipping company was on those particular days will skew Robbys claim. Ordering the same exact thing, within the same time frame, paying the extra fee vs not is a better way to test the theory.

I would have no doubt that the extra $3 expedites a shipment to arrive faster than going with free shipping. Otherwise it's fraud. Saying that a $40 order of filter socks arrived in 5 days with free shipping in January and in April a $400 skimmer showed up in 5 days with the $3 extra fee, is not proof, it's anecdotal at best.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back