Marine fish care - who to believe?

JamieB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

Almost ready to buy the first fish for new 300L.
As I add each new fish month by month I want to research how to best look after each fish.
To find out what to feed it, ideal water conditions, any habitat requirements, what other fish it can cant live with.

So when I search the first 2 pages of google results for e.g. flame angelfish I get a mish mash of sites selling them, blog pages covered in advertising and varous other types of sites.
None of them give the impression of good well researched sources of information.

So the question is - where is the best place to go to find info you can trust on how to look after specific types of fish?
Maybe on forums such as this? thoughts?

I would really appreciate some help on this
Jamie :)

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a lot of info from this site, as well as LiveAquaria. That site usually has a pretty good description of nearly any of the fish in this hobby. I've even seen the same info on certain fishes used word for word on other sites. I don't know who borrows the info, but I usually just go to LiveAquaria.
I hope that helps.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get most info from R2R, as well as regular google. I usually search it up first, check multiple sources, if I get many different opinions I come on R2R. Occasionally I go onto LiveAquaria, but thats usually only to dream of all the cool fish I could buy :)

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of fish behave differently in different scenarios for many different reasons such as tank size, tank mates, available food, and even just the personality of the individual fish. A lot of fish may be listed as peaceful or semi-aggressive on liveaquaria, but when you put them in too small of a tank or with the wrong tank mates they become aggressive. Liveaquaria's info is usually good, but won't go into detail enough to really make a decision when mixing certain fish. I prefer to look there first to learn the basics and then search forums for multiple posts about people who have experiences with the fish. There are just too many variables for one place to have all the info. The forums are great for this because you get so many experiences good or bad.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I have had is many people failing with something on forums doesn't mean I cant have one if I find the right info.
Like all the people feeding their eels and lions stuff with thiaminase. It's kind of rule one but most don't find it until to late.
Lots of posts, xxx is dying. It's too late to undo the damage.
Few posts, how do I keep xxx before I buy one.
I suspect people fear being told they cant do it so they dont ask.

CBB should stay in the ocean
My Lion wont eat
IMG_3591_HEIC-L.jpg

My eel is laying on the bottom
IMG_3562-L.jpg

Bicolor angels are hard
Clown tangs kill
Chromis all die
aiptasia ( there are 10,000 in my sump, see any in these pics?)
IMG_3594_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_3583-L.jpg

IMG_3590_HEIC-L.jpg

I am not some prodigy. I am an old guy with progressive brain disease. But I read and read and read.

Be honest if you tank is too small or you aren't willing to do what is necessary like keeping live food for something.
Lot's of posts about training fish to eat xxx. So I started a thread on how to train fish. Zero responses. Dont count on it.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

Almost ready to buy the first fish for new 300L.
As I add each new fish month by month I want to research how to best look after each fish.
To find out what to feed it, ideal water conditions, any habitat requirements, what other fish it can cant live with.

So when I search the first 2 pages of google results for e.g. flame angelfish I get a mish mash of sites selling them, blog pages covered in advertising and varous other types of sites.
None of them give the impression of good well researched sources of information.

So the question is - where is the best place to go to find info you can trust on how to look after specific types of fish?
Maybe on forums such as this? thoughts?

I would really appreciate some help on this
The answer is, you will always get different information. Even on something as supposedly 'well known' as raising clownfish for example. Which is a pain, but the only way is to see what the consensus is, combined with whether what is asked makes sense or not (by asking for evidence and experience and so on), choose a decision and stick to it.

OP
OP
J

JamieB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Very pleased to get many opinions on this. I now feel confident about how to go about finding info in general.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Very pleased to get many opinions on this. I now feel confident about how to go about finding info in general.
Robert Fenner has a beautiful book you can pick up used. It has information on different types of fish for feeding, habitat, disease and so on.

26321849-E2DA-497F-9661-8B8F758A6EFF.jpeg

5D4C895C-2297-40B3-83F7-29567AF43E5A.jpeg

76E23049-59F4-4F03-922F-225271B10278.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JamieB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that book looks really good - i might go down this road.
Anyone have suggestions for other good books on the subject?

Is there a book/s on reefing thats considered the bible of reefing?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back