Marine Ich infestation - Please help save my tank

mjblr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've been running a marine tank with purple tip sebae anemone(2), ocellaris clowfish(2), firefish(2), hermit crabs (2) for about a year now. I recently upgraded my tank from 90 liters to 220 liters tank and stocked few more fishes in there. I added blue tang(1), lipstick tang(1) and black and white chromis(2) into the mix. But within 2 days of adding these fishes my blue tang was infested with ICH and it was on and off, upon contacting my LPS they said it's due to stress and would fight it back as it's not too bad. The blue tang would have the white spots on it's body only a few days a week (on and off) and would rub against other fishes, I moved all the fishes(as I felt all of them had got ICH or was exposed to atleast) to QT tank and dosed with oodonex as suggested by my LPS. But the very next day I lost my blue tang :( :( :( , a day after I lost a black and white chromis :( and on the same day I lost a male clownfish :(.My other three fishes are very sick and I feel they are losing the battle (female clownfish, black and white chromis and firefish) and I've moved the lipstick tang back to the display tank as he has got white spots only on his pectoral fins and I've been very scared as QT tank has been a killing machine lately rather than doing the opposite. I live in Sydney, Australia, LOOKING FOR DESPERATE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS GUYS. PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY FISHES.

OP
OP
mjblr

mjblr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ryan265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some kick-ich and it seemed to help. Unfortunately, it took a few days to arrive and the damage was done. Lost 6-7 really nice fish:(

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for a quick response, I can't thank you enough for being there at this time. I'll arrange for pics soon (as I'm at work now apologies).

You need to get them all into QT and start treating with copper. Without pics we can’t tell if it’s ich or velvet but copper will treat both. Kickich will not eradicate the parasite from your system. I would get some copper power and ramp it up to 2.0ppm over 48 hours. You’ll need to maintain that level for either 14 days if you can transfer the fish to another sterile tank or 30 days in the same QT tank. If you can get a Hanna copper tester it makes maintaining copper a breeze. You will need to let your DT go fallow for 76 days. The fallow period for velvet is 6 weeks but since we don’t know which it is it would be better to do the 76 days.

Welcome to R2R! I’m sorry it had to be in those situation

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjblr

mjblr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, quick update! I've now lost my other clownfish and managed to get his photo as well. Please see below attached photgo for my beloved clownfish. I have a strong feeling that the QT tank is having massive issues. I've been dosing QT with oodonex at 3ml for 100 liters rate and making sure the copper level is at 0.25 in the tank.

97f235ae-2cc1-4760-bfd4-2016128af200.jpg

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, quick update! I've now lost my other clownfish and managed to get his photo as well. Please see below attached photgo for my beloved clownfish. I have a strong feeling that the QT tank is having massive issues. I've been dosing QT with oodonex at 3ml for 100 liters rate and making sure the copper level is at 0.25 in the tank.

I am so sorry about all your precious charges. You already have goid advice from otothersut our fish become so special to us.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve never seen Oodenex before but I googled it and although it does have copper in it I’m not sure it’s strong enough to eradicate ich/velvet. The label says it’s for management. Are you solely using this or have you added copper treatment with it?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, what test kit are you using? it almost sounds like its maybe in the toxic range after reading one of Hotrocks old posts.

Copper sulfate pentahydrate should be used at a concentration of .20ppm

It's a very difficult copper to use because the therapuetic window is the .15-.20ppm. Toxicity is very close to the therapuetic window as well. I would do a water change to try to reduce the level slightly.

A Hanna checker would be a better suited test kit when using this type of copper. If the fish was eating well and stopped my guess is you have exceeded .20ppm.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Copper Sulfate + Aminacrine (an antiseptic) appear to be the working ingredients. @Humblefish said that so long as you used the Hanna Checker and kept around .15 - .25PPM (therapeutic for Copper Sulfate) it should work fine.

OP
OP
mjblr

mjblr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, what test kit are you using? it almost sounds like its maybe in the toxic range after reading one of Hotrocks old posts.

I use API copper test kit and monitored the level to be at 0.25 ppm. But as the directions says to add 3ml per 50 liters daily for 4 days I had to do water changes and topup the fresh water with just enough oodonex to get a 0.25 ppm. I've now lost the firefish as well and just hanging on with black and white chromis and lipstick tang.

OP
OP
mjblr

mjblr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sincere appreciation to everyone in this thread to being there during this whole time. You guys are real legends! Although I absolutely love my hobby, I always felt reef keeping was extremely hard just because we have absolutely no access to proper information. Atleast I relayed heavily on what my LPS told me and everytime I make a mistake I go back to them and they sell me another product that would help, and all the research I do online (available information) would be 70% USA based and it's quite hard to find the same products in Australia.

But this forum has filled my with all the confidence I need to keep going. Thank you once again LEGENDS!

RIP my Clownfishes, black and white chromis, firefish :( :( :(

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sincere appreciation to everyone in this thread to being there during this whole time. You guys are real legends! Although I absolutely love my hobby, I always felt reef keeping was extremely hard just because we have absolutely no access to proper information. Atleast I relayed heavily on what my LPS told me and everytime I make a mistake I go back to them and they sell me another product that would help, and all the research I do online (available information) would be 70% USA based and it's quite hard to find the same products in Australia.

But this forum has filled my with all the confidence I need to keep going. Thank you once again LEGENDS!

RIP my Clownfishes, black and white chromis, firefish :( :( :(
Sorry for your losses but keep moving forward!!

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with seachem ParaGard. I treated a full tank 40g with coral snails fish shrimp crabs and they all lived did full dose for the 40g everyday same time for 30 days straight boom worked. hope that helps.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back