Marine migration: How would you move your aquarium?

How would you move your aquarium?

• Professional movers.

Votes: 43 13.3%
  • Reach out to the local fish club.

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Invite friends to help.

Votes: 95 29.3%
  • I would figure out how to do it myself.

Votes: 137 42.3%
  • I’m never moving my tank.

Votes: 23 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 12 3.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Marine migration: How would you move your aquarium?

You have put together an amazing reef, but sometimes you have to move your tank. Whether you’re upgrading, downsizing, replacing, or moving to a new location, sometimes our aquariums need to be transported. Once the water, the livestock, the aquascaping, and the equipment has all been addressed, there is still the tank itself that still needs to be moved. While a nano tank may be a one-person lift, many tanks will require more lifting power than a single person can provide. The options range from enticing friends with pizza and drinks to hiring professional movers. Whether you base your answer on your current tank size or on your experience, please tell us how you would move your aquarium.

Pro Tip: When moving the aquarium, safety is important for you, for the aquarium, and for anything in the surrounding area. Always use proper lifting techniques and consider using tools such as lifting straps, high quality suction cups, and furniture dollies.

VFX_Reef_PeaceKeeper_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

TSABanner2.jpeg

"Offering one of the largest selections of coral and dry goods online. Top Shelf Aquatics is your one stop shop for all of your aquarium needs. We have made our name by not only providing the healthiest and most vibrant frags shipped straight to your door, but we pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service. Whether you are looking for that one of a kind piece or for the perfect beginner coral to start your reef, our dedicated staff is always eager to help!"

TSABanner3.jpeg

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving my 40g AIO this month for the second time. Last time I had a buddy that works for an LFS help me with their equipment, which was awesome because I didn't know how to safely move it. Now that I've seen it done, I'm going to get a few more buckets and do it with a buddy.

I'm in the process of setting up a 120g tank at my new place that will have to be moved in a couple years as well. That one I'm much more concerned about, but that's a problem for down the road.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I strictly hire movers based on size and weights of my tank to assure proper handling, manpower and the fact that they are insured should something go wrong.
It costs me a few hundred dollars, but when a replacement tank is also $4500 (tank only), a few hundred is a great piece of mind. My last move was $700 and included removing tank and placing it at new location.
$700 would buy myself some nice fish and coral , but what is fish and coral with a broken tank.

Alfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted an aquarium mover , when i showed them my reef at the time ( a 4x2x2 120g) and the equipment I had they quoted nearly $1200 to move it 12 miles and said I would need to be there to remove the equipment rescape the tank and refit the equipment. I did it myself, I did sadly lose 3 anthias but that was it.
This was the tank back in 2019 when i moned. Now the tank is bigger, more livestock and more equipment, I wonder what they would say now?
20190930_153346.jpg

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other = LFS. A few around here also service aquariums and pretty sure they could get me going (possibly with a pro company they regularly use).

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my new house, I moved all my fish into a temporary tank at the new house, put all my rocks in a brute trashcan with water. My cousin then helped me move my Waterbox 100.3. Then set it all back up.

If I had a much larger tank though then I'd probably get professionals.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have relocated across the country multiple times with all my stuff due to work PCS. Currently about to move in the next month and have started working on a reverse build thread to show how I prep pack, and set back up. My process usually involves a major start over with selling livestock and bleaching rocks for longer moves. For this one, most likely, be going with keeping wet rocks. And I usually involve an upgrade of some sort in the process. We will see how it goes. Stay tuned, hope it will help at least one person.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've been able to move tanks up to 180 gallons in and out of the house alone. Also managed moving a 125 gallon to the basement alone to set up as a sump. Not tank related but I moved a 900 lb gun safe up three steps and to the other end of the house alone also. And I wasn't even smart enough to take the door off :zany-face: My Gal says it's scary watching but the last time I asked her to help she hurt her back so it's just me to do it.
If I ever step up to the 8ft tank I want I'll probably negotiate delivery. I think 6ft tanks are my max for solo moves.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved aquariums many times in my 20+ years in the hobby. From tank upgrades in the same house, to moving across town, to moving across the country.

If it's a tank upgrade, like I just did at Christmas, friends are fine. You can do it in stages and you have the luxury of time. If it's out of state or across the country, hire some pros and have them build a wooden crate around the aquarium to protect it. If something does go wrong and the tank breaks, their insurance will cover the replacement.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about a year ago I tried to move my tank across town alone. The most help I had was my son moving the tank itself into and out of the houses. It was a peace of cake.

I lie. It was horrible. I didn't even think to ask a local reef friend. I just assumed it was my hobby, my responsibility. big dum/dum head.

Boomer52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every time I have had to move my tank, I have been moving to a new house. Since I needed professional movers, they moved the tank. At that time, it was a 120. I have also had friends help when I was relocating it in the house. Piece of cake when you have 4 people and furniture dollies. Unfortunately, I've had to downsize to an 80 gal. Forutnately, I have two strong sons who can do the heavy lifting for me.

Back