Marine pure leaching aluminium?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve done some more research into media for tanks. And ran into claims marine pure leeches aluminium into the water especially if moved.
Does anyone have experience with this? And are the mantis blocks a good alternative?

Beane71884

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve done some more research into media for tanks. And ran into claims marine pure leeches aluminium into the water especially if moved.
Does anyone have experience with this? And are the mantis blocks a good alternative?
Mine leached AL. I did an ATI water test back in October that revealed elevated AL levels so I removed it. I'm going to do another test in the next month or two to check the new levels. I have no intention of using another type of block in it's place.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine leached AL. I did an ATI water test back in October that revealed elevated AL levels so I removed it. I'm going to do another test in the next month or two to check the new levels. I have no intention of using another type of block in it's place.
What are you doing instead of media?

Beane71884

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearwater ATS. My nitrates were bottomed out anyway so ditching the block was needed regardless of Al. Even with it out, I’m still needing to dose nitrates.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is, does the leeching aluminum affect anything. I've read threads here that say the increased aluminum had no effect on the tank. I've also read that treating them like curing rock eliminates the problem. Is either true, I don't know. Maybe Randy knows the answer. On another note, I don't blindly follow BRS videos as they are not always correct, like the salt test videos.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is, does the leeching aluminum affect anything. I've read threads here that say the increased aluminum had no effect on the tank. I've also read that treating them like curing rock eliminates the problem. Is either true, I don't know. Maybe Randy knows the answer. On another note, I don't blindly follow BRS videos as they are not always correct, like the salt test videos.
Also, wouldn’t activated carbon be able to absorb whatever minimal amount leeched into the water? (If any)

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, wouldn’t activated carbon be able to absorb whatever minimal amount leeched into the water? (If any)

i would not assume that GAC binds aluminum from seawater. It’s reallly not good at binding most metals, but many metals bind to organic matter that itself binds to GAC.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the blocks? Or all forms of their media

Complicated question. Some folks claimed the material most readily shown to release aluminum was actually counterfeit material. Some said it was a bad batch. Done folks reported theirs was crumbling to bits, others not so. Is the released aluminum toxic? Is it soluble Al+++, or some fine particulate form??

I personally would avoid all aluminum oxide and related products unless they are something you already have. I don’t know of anything they do that cannot be done easily in other ways.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of them in my refugium. Just got an ICP test done and Al levels are nothing to worry about. Going to keep an eye on them just to be sure. Thanks for the heads up.

tmorford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested to hear about the sat test videos ? What are your thoughts?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back