marine snow is it a good thing or not

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was thinking about using marine snow just woundering if it is a good product or not i have mostly lps but some sps

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered getting some to try on a softie tank. I doubt LPS would get much out of it, but the SPS might. BUMP for someone with more experience.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to figure out for a very long time what Marine Snow actually is...by two little fishies, right?

Personally I have no experience, but I've always been suspect of the product and these days there's so many coral foods that are legitimate out there, I doubt I would ever use it.

I believe I read somewhere that it is basically detritus, but that is totally unconfirmed I can't even remember where I read that.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term Marine Snow could be two different things. Basically in the ocean marine snow is referring to the detritus, debris, particles etc. that are always raining down in the ocean. You don't want that in your tank.

There is a product called Marine Snow made by Two Little Fishies that is a mixture of zooplankton for coral food.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the ingredient list, just looked it up:

Deionized Water, Phytoplankton, (Nannochloropsis, Tetraselmis, Isochrysis, Spirulina, Schyzochitrium, Dried Seaweed Meal, Zooplankton, Citric Acid

I'm still suspect of this product, but yes Ritter is correct in saying it is a zoo/phyto plankton product.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be better off using live phyto and pods as opposed to a gimmcky product like the "marine snow"
It's just going to end up polluting your tank and most likely will cause a algae outbreak, phyto and pods are SOO easy to culture on your own that I really cant see ANY benefit to using a "dead" product like that or any of the other bottled foods, hell ALOT of the bottled "foods" are nothing more than hard boiled egg yoke juice in all honesty

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thankx for the input im just trying to figure out how to get sps to grow in my tank i can keep lps but sps do great for 6 months or so then start to die

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thankx for the input im just trying to figure out how to get sps to grow in my tank i can keep lps but sps do great for 6 months or so then start to die

I'd look into water parameters and lighting before feeding. Sps are very picky about water parameters. Especially alkalinity and phosphates.

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this for 6-8 months... I think I will switch to something else. Cause I bet that maybe my issue of a lil hair algae and diatom issue I have been fighting....

nolen502

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it for about two months now and can't really complian. I get great growth and color out of my sps.

Clay4AU

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it for over a year as part of a cocktail that I feed and as far as bottled foods go it is one of the more reasonable priced ones.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back