Marine Velvet and Biological Filtration

BRS

djstud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My 75 gallon soft coral tank came down with marine velvet. Most of the fish died but the 2 that did not have been removed. I am planning on fallowing the tank for 60 to 90 days. How do I maintain my nitrifying bacteria during this period? I am continuing to add frozen mysis shrimp for the inverts and corals hoping that this will be enough to keep the bacteria alive. Should I be dosing ammonia?

Top Shelf Aquatics

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
You can just feed the corals and the inverts. On the bright side, tt could be a fun time to try out different coral foods :D

OP
djstud

djstud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You can just feed the corals and the inverts. On the bright side, tt could be a fun time to try out different coral foods :D
Hard to believe that there is a bright side but I have been considering trying something like Reef Roids. Is this what you would recommend or should I try something else?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Hard to believe that there is a bright side but I have been considering trying something like Reef Roids. Is this what you would recommend or should I try something else?

I've tried a bunch of food because for some reason feeding them entertains me. I like pellets for lps, phytoplankton for a lot of leathers, reef roids for mushrooms, and then honestly I am not sure what the sps prefered. Some like baby brine.

For an overall one, an amino acid mix is nice. This is my go to if I am lazy as it can be broadcast fed with less mess in my opinion

BRS

What percentage of blue versus white lighting do you think makes the best coral growth combo?

• All Blue

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • Mostly Blue

Votes: 389 62.7%
  • Even Balance

Votes: 159 25.6%
  • Mostly White

Votes: 46 7.4%
  • All White

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.5%