Marine Velvet and Biological Filtration

djstud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 gallon soft coral tank came down with marine velvet. Most of the fish died but the 2 that did not have been removed. I am planning on fallowing the tank for 60 to 90 days. How do I maintain my nitrifying bacteria during this period? I am continuing to add frozen mysis shrimp for the inverts and corals hoping that this will be enough to keep the bacteria alive. Should I be dosing ammonia?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just feed the corals and the inverts. On the bright side, tt could be a fun time to try out different coral foods :D

OP
OP
djstud

djstud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just feed the corals and the inverts. On the bright side, tt could be a fun time to try out different coral foods :D
Hard to believe that there is a bright side but I have been considering trying something like Reef Roids. Is this what you would recommend or should I try something else?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to believe that there is a bright side but I have been considering trying something like Reef Roids. Is this what you would recommend or should I try something else?

I've tried a bunch of food because for some reason feeding them entertains me. I like pellets for lps, phytoplankton for a lot of leathers, reef roids for mushrooms, and then honestly I am not sure what the sps prefered. Some like baby brine.

For an overall one, an amino acid mix is nice. This is my go to if I am lazy as it can be broadcast fed with less mess in my opinion

OP
OP
djstud

djstud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fallowed the tank for 90 days. I purchased new fish and placed them in my quarantine tank for 85 days with Copper and Prazipro. Everything worked out great. My display tank is now Marine Velvet free. I also added a UV sterilizer to help take care of any future pests.

Back