Marine velvet and hydrogen Peroxide bath

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, would like to share my recent experience with velvet and hydrogen peroxide. Have a friend who gave me a call that his tank had velvet. Didn’t QT anything and put a bunch of tangs in a new tank. Picked up his fish late night and when I got home realized they weren’t going to make it. Kole tang was completely covered, sail fin tang was completely covered and I knew they would just die even being thrown into my copper hospital tank. I prepared 1 gallon of new saltwater matching salinity and put an air stone to aerate the water and let that sit for about 15 minutes. I used 3% hydrogen peroxide and initially dosed 10ml and put the fish 1 at a time in different containers. Observed them for about 20 minutes and saw them doing well so I added an extra 2ml for the last 10 minutes. Took them out and put them in breeder boxes in my copper tank. Next morning I wake up and fish are completely spot free and eating like pigs! Let them out the breeder boxes and will continue to observe but just wanted to share my experience. Moving foward will do this for every fish that’s infested with velvet! Wanted to share my experience since I don’t see too much on hydrogen peroxide and velvet and most locals around me don’t realize hyposalinity, or even throwing in copper does absolutely nothing for the parasites attached to the fish!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, would like to share my recent experience with velvet and hydrogen peroxide. Have a friend who gave me a call that his tank had velvet. Didn’t QT anything and put a bunch of tangs in a new tank. Picked up his fish late night and when I got home realized they weren’t going to make it. Kole tang was completely covered, sail fin tang was completely covered and I knew they would just die even being thrown into my copper hospital tank. I prepared 1 gallon of new saltwater matching salinity and put an air stone to aerate the water and let that sit for about 15 minutes. I used 3% hydrogen peroxide and initially dosed 10ml and put the fish 1 at a time in different containers. Observed them for about 20 minutes and saw them doing well so I added an extra 2ml for the last 10 minutes. Took them out and put them in breeder boxes in my copper tank. Next morning I wake up and fish are completely spot free and eating like pigs! Let them out the breeder boxes and will continue to observe but just wanted to share my experience. Moving foward will do this for every fish that’s infested with velvet! Wanted to share my experience since I don’t see too much on hydrogen peroxide and velvet and most locals around me don’t realize hyposalinity, or even throwing in copper does absolutely nothing for the parasites attached to the fish!

Thanks for sharing. There is more and more research on H202 and the positive impact it has treating velvet. So glad to hear another success story.

OP
OP
AquaholicAquariums

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. There is more and more research on H202 and the positive impact it has treating velvet. So glad to hear another success story.

Moving foward I will be doing a 30 minute bath on every velvet infested fish. Have been observing the fish for 2 days and they are breathing normal and eating well. Absolutely no spots. I will remove the copper from tank in 8 days. I did use a slightly higher dosage then most at 12ml/gallon but not for the whole bath. Would like to spread the knowledge around. I am going to be experimenting next time with throwing the fish into a non medicated tank and see if the velvet comes back.

HTXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I wish I would’ve read something like this prior to my bout with velvet. Within 48 hours of seeing the first spot I had lost 4 fish but when you are frantically trying to get the HT up and running and save the fish you don’t have much time to read. Looking forward to your update on a copperless tank.

OP
OP
AquaholicAquariums

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I wish I would’ve read something like this prior to my bout with velvet. Within 48 hours of seeing the first spot I had lost 4 fish but when you are frantically trying to get the HT up and running and save the fish you don’t have much time to read. Looking forward to your update on a copperless tank.

not convinced it %100 eradicates velvet from the fish, but I feel confident enough to say it does remove most and provides the greatest relief for them For greatest chance of survival

HTXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not convinced it %100 eradicates velvet from the fish, but I feel confident enough to say it does remove most and provides the greatest relief for them For greatest chance of survival
I think you’re on to something especially about the relief. I first noticed a single spot on my blue tang so immediately rushed to petco and bought a 20 gallon tank and all the supplies to get it running. Within the hour and a half it took me to get the tank and get it running the tang went form a couple of spots to fully covered. I immediately started cupramine and was raising the levels as directed but the poor fish was miserable. Wouldn’t eat and was gone by the next evening.
I now keep everything ready to go in the event something pops up. But had I known this and could relieve the fish even a little I’m confident it would definitely improve the chances of survival.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AquaholicAquariums

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re on to something especially about the relief. I first noticed a single spot on my blue tang so immediately rushed to petco and bought a 20 gallon tank and all the supplies to get it running. Within the hour and a half it took me to get the tank and get it running the tang went form a couple of spots to fully covered. I immediately started cupramine and was raising the levels as directed but the poor fish was miserable. Wouldn’t eat and was gone by the next evening.
I now keep everything ready to go in the event something pops up. But had I known this and could relieve the fish even a little I’m confident it would definitely improve the chances of survival.

Give it a try next time, these fish were basically laying sideways and within hours they looked brand new. Wish I would’ve done it to the rest of them in time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back