Marine Velvet - Fallow Period and Resistant Fish

FoxFaceClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, three weeks ago I had an outbreak of marine velvet and lost most of my fish. I'm left with just my inverts as well as a yellow coris wrasse, a foxface and a blue hippo tang that I assume are resistant to velvet, they currently look healthy and don't have any symptoms. I'm considering removing the fish to a separate tank to treat them with copper and let my display go fallow for two months. My question is whether it is really necessary to remove the resistant fish and fallow the tank. Can the velvet survive in the tank with only the resistant fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, three weeks ago I had an outbreak of marine velvet and lost most of my fish. I'm left with just my inverts as well as a yellow coris wrasse, a foxface and a blue hippo tang that I assume are resistant to velvet, they currently look healthy and don't have any symptoms. I'm considering removing the fish to a separate tank to treat them with copper and let my display go fallow for two months. My question is whether it is really necessary to remove the resistant fish and fallow the tank. Can the velvet survive in the tank with only the resistant fish?
Velvet needs to have NO hosts. Fallow is 44-69 days and treat with copper safe which is safer. Additionally have a reliable copper test kit and monitor the levels. Don’t usually API brand

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 11 fish to velvet a few years ago. One fish (Niger Trigger) I was able to save and two fish (Long Nose Hawk & Aptasia File fish) never showed any symptoms ever. In fact, I just left the Hawk and File fish in the infected tank for two weeks while I educated myself on fish disease and treatments then attempted to save the others. I decided to play it safe and treat the Hawk and File fish with CP in a separate QT from the Trigger as I figured even if they were not affected, they could surly infect other fish. Today, I still have the three survivors.

OP
OP
FoxFaceClown

FoxFaceClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet needs to have NO hosts. Fallow is 44-69 days and treat with copper safe which is safer. Additionally have a reliable copper test kit and monitor the levels. Don’t usually API brand
Thank you vetteguy53081, I suspected this might be the case, but wanted to confirm before I go through all the effort to set up the QT tank. Thanks for the advice on the fallow time and copper treatment, I'm planning to get the Hanna Copper test kit, I've heard good things about it and I love my other Hanna checkers.

OP
OP
FoxFaceClown

FoxFaceClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 11 fish to velvet a few years ago. One fish (Niger Trigger) I was able to save and two fish (Long Nose Hawk & Aptasia File fish) never showed any symptoms ever. In fact, I just left the Hawk and File fish in the infected tank for two weeks while I educated myself on fish disease and treatments then attempted to save the others. I decided to play it safe and treat the Hawk and File fish with CP in a separate QT from the Trigger as I figured even if they were not affected, they could surly infect other fish. Today, I still have the three survivors.
Hi ReefHog, thanks for letting me know your experience, I'm glad you were able to save a few fish, that gives me hope that gives me hope that I can save mine. This was my first experience with disease in a reef tank, it was pretty demoralizing.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was wiped out with velvet I had two remaining fish , both tangs. I decided to roll the dice and bought fish from the store where I purchased the survivors. I only waited two weeks and left the fish in my display during that time. I now have 25 fish from that same store in that same display, zero losses since. It goes against what most advise here but that’s my experience. I know the difference between ich and velvet, I’ve been keeping marine fish for 10 years and aquariums for 20.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When my tank was wiped out with velvet I had two remaining fish , both tangs. I decided to roll the dice and bought fish from the store where I purchased the survivors. I only waited two weeks and left the fish in my display during that time. I now have 25 fish from that same store in that same display, zero losses since. It goes against what most advise here but that’s my experience. I know the difference between ich and velvet, I’ve been keeping marine fish for 10 years and aquariums for 20.
Did you run a UV? Ozone? Water changes? Curious because I just had velvet wipe out all my fish.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you run a UV? Ozone? Water changes? Curious because I just had velvet wipe out all my fish.
I did do a 20 percent water change but velvet is so fast and contagious, I knew the two survivors were either carriers or immune because they had survived two weeks after the outbreak. When I added that next fish, I was worried and I watched it constantly every day. I came to the conclusion that velvet ran its course. I don’t run a uv or ozone and half my rock was only a couple years old at the time.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back