Marine velvet help!

Dylan7huskies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I 100% have marine velvet in my tank. It being 6pm on a Sunday, every store is closed. I’ve been reading to quarantine and copper treatment but that has to wait until tomorrow. Anything I can do right now that would help them last through the night? Thanks!

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continue that for a couple weeks and velvet will be completely eradicated with no QT tanks or copper. Theres a thread around here somewhere. PM me if you need specific directions

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips will remove parasites from the fish's gills allowing it to breathe. It won't cure the problem but it will buy you time. In some case FW dips have been shown to remove the majority of the parasites from the gills. As long as the fish are healthy enough to be dipped. But the reality is that if they don't survive the dip, they were probably too damaged to survive anyway.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above I would definitely get a fw dip done on the fish, then move them to a QT tank tonight if possible.

OP
OP
Dylan7huskies

Dylan7huskies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above I would definitely get a fw dip done on the fish, then move them to a QT tank tonight if possible.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Continue that for a couple weeks and velvet will be completely eradicated with no QT tanks or copper. Theres a thread around here somewhere. PM me if you need specific directions
This is good news but it isnt %100 yet and Humblefish im sure is close to the final results (fingers crossed) as this will change QT forever.

It is not known the long effects on corals yet so if you have them it is safer to fallow the tank and treat fish in QT.

The best bet is still to copper in QT and fallow your DT.

Juliekerley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey do we does this daily for 2 weeks?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did not see success dosing h2o2 in our reef at 1ml/ gallon every 12 hours. We dosed for a week and then the clowns had it. Which was a bad sign considering clowns are a more resistant species. It certainly delayed the fish from becoming overwhelmed, but no signs that it would eradicate it. We stopped dosing, pulled fish and qt'ed. Anemones and worms did not like the excessive h2o2 dosing.

It may work for some, but every tank is different with different species and so if you don't have sensitive species you could possibly have success.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did not see success dosing h2o2 in our reef at 1ml/ gallon every 12 hours. We dosed for a week and then the clowns had it. Which was a bad sign considering clowns are a more resistant species. It certainly delayed the fish from becoming overwhelmed, but no signs that it would eradicate it. We stopped dosing, pulled fish and qt'ed. Anemones and worms did not like the excessive h2o2 dosing.

It may work for some, but every tank is different with different species and so if you don't have sensitive species you could possibly have success.
Interesting . The only thing living before I started the h2o2 method was a delicate little convict tang. I dosed 1 ml per 5 gallons for 3 weeks, and started restocking. I now have numerous tangs and other delicate fish in my once velvet ridden system, without ever going fallow, only dosing h202. I will say, I started off with 1 ml per 10 gallons and slowly ramped up to 1 ml per 4 gallons. I saw no adverse reactions in anything, including macro algae, shrimp, and anemones. Zoanthids would close up immediately but would open back up shortly after.

Maybe your problem was lighting. Light degrades h2o2 very fast. I dosed the hydrogen peroxide twice a day, exactly 12 hours apart. Once at 7:20 in the morning, 2 hours before lights on, and again a 7:20 pm, an hour after lights off. I had to modify the lightning schedule, but it may have made all the difference.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your problem was lighting. Light degrades h2o2 very fast. I dosed the hydrogen peroxide twice a day, exactly 12 hours apart. Once at 7:20 in the morning, 2 hours before lights on, and again a 7:20 pm, an hour after lights off. I had to modify the lightning schedule, but it may have made all the difference.
Very interesting. When treating velvet recommend turning off tank lights, if possible, as the parasite is partially photosynthetic. Taking away one of its "food sources" is just another weapon we can use against velvet.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. When treating velvet recommend turning off tank lights, if possible, as the parasite is partially photosynthetic. Taking away one of its "food sources" is just another weapon we can use against velvet.
Never even knew that. H2o2 could be our savior against velvet. I also have a theory ( untested ) that if I continued the same treatment for much longer (76 days) I could eradicate ich. Ich lives too far into a fish to outright kill, but I think h2o2 can kill the free swimmers, so maybe if you do it longer enough, you can eradicate it?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting . The only thing living before I started the h2o2 method was a delicate little convict tang. I dosed 1 ml per 5 gallons for 3 weeks, and started restocking. I now have numerous tangs and other delicate fish in my once velvet ridden system, without ever going fallow, only dosing h202. I will say, I started off with 1 ml per 10 gallons and slowly ramped up to 1 ml per 4 gallons. I saw no adverse reactions in anything, including macro algae, shrimp, and anemones. Zoanthids would close up immediately but would open back up shortly after.

I turned off my skimmer when I dosed which may explain the poor reaction by the anemone and worms because the skimmer would break it down quicker so they might have been getting too much oxidation happening on their tissues. My system is also very low nutrient so there aren't a lot of organics to oxidize either. Shrimp were fine. I would have continued dosing, but once the clowns showed symptoms I knew I had to qt. I also could have had a stronger strain. Some strains have been reported to be tougher than others, even resisting copper as high as 1.75.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned off my skimmer when I dosed which may explain the poor reaction by the anemone and worms because the skimmer would break it down quicker so they might have been getting too much oxidation happening on their tissues. My system is also very low nutrient so there aren't a lot of organics to oxidize either. Shrimp were fine. I would have continued dosing, but once the clowns showed symptoms I knew I had to qt. I also could have had a stronger strain. Some strains have been reported to be tougher than others, even resisting copper as high as 1.75.
I never had my skimmer on. So many variables huh? You very well might have had a more resistant strain.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about lighting? If you had it on for 12-15 hours a day, that was probably your downfall if I had to guess

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back