Marine velvet?

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this is? I gave him a freshwater dip and most of it came off. Marine velvet? I'm dosing formalin. New fish by the way.

image.png

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think that's velvet. It could be an infection, but I would worry about what the cause of the infection is. Did you see any flukes during the dip? Like these?
1459813172723-jpg.336938

OP
OP
rolyguy7

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall. It was hard to notice. What I saw was that translucent white stuff on the side of his body come off.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he certainly looks better after the dip. do you have a QT you can use if you need it? You should keep an eye on him and watch for any other symptoms like : Flashing, scratching, heavy breathing, head twitching, swimming into the flow of a powerhead, not eating ect ect.

OP
OP
rolyguy7

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in one. Dosing formalin in the tank for velvet and ich. Feeding him daily. He's eating so that's good. Any idea what it may be?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest? Not really. With the way it came off in the FW dip, I'm at a loss. I know @Humblefish will pop in and probably give you a better clue. He's seen way more than I have so maybe he knows.

OP
OP
rolyguy7

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Hopefully he knows what it may be. I should've left him at the local store for a week or so. I picked him up the same day they delivered him to the store. Hopefully I can get him to recover.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Hopefully he knows what it may be. I should've left him at the local store for a week or so. I picked him up the same day they delivered him to the store. Hopefully I can get him to recover.

It could be something as simple as excess mucus from his slime coat. Like a stress reaction from shipping.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt spots could have been ick. I would have treated with copper instead of formalin. Formalin can be very harsh on fish and there is some anecdotal evidence that fish treated with it dont live as long. Anyway, the lip looks like he bumped it pretty hard on something...maybe during shipping or before. Just keep an eye on it. Make sure your adding vitamin supplements to his food to help his immune system... something like vitachem or selcon

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been soaking it in liquid garlic. He mainly likes flakes but he nips at seaweed.

Garlic isn't a vitamin. It's mainly used to tempt fish into eating when they might not want to. Try to find a good vitamin supplement like the ones I mentioned above. It will help :)

OP
OP
rolyguy7

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic isn't a vitamin. It's mainly used to tempt fish into eating when they might not want to. Try to find a good vitamin supplement like the ones I mentioned above. It will help :)

Just ordered selcom. Will arrive in two days. Thank you for the info.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've encountered this before with nasos, but I cannot for the life of me remember how I treated it (or if it even needed to be treated.) Seems to me nasos get these weird "skin conditions" sometimes. It will probably come to me later. Did the white thing completely peel off when you did the FW dip?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back