Marine Velvet

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have fish that went through tank transfer and looked completely healthy. The yellow tang stopped eating and is breathing heavy so I pulled him out of qt tank to start copper in a smaller tank that I have up. The other fish remaining should I do copper with them as well. I feel that I should but wanted someone’s recommendation.

Thanks

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have fish that went through tank transfer and looked completely healthy. The yellow tang stopped eating and is breathing heavy so I pulled him out of qt tank to start copper in a smaller tank that I have up. The other fish remaining should I do copper with them as well. I feel that I should but wanted someone’s recommendation.

Thanks

That is a tough one. TTM really only treats Ich so if you suspect velvet, then I would definitely get them into Copper. The fish showing signs will need to be ramped up quickly, but the others that are not, you can ramp them up more slowly if you have multiple tanks to accomplish this with.

Have you noticed swimming into the powerhead and flashing?

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish that are still left in the tank seem too be fine but the whole reason I did all this is to go fallow and I think it is best now to treat all with copper to be on safe side. I have not noticed any of the fish swimming into powerhead.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet treatment:
Freshwater dip to help the fish’s gills to breath a bit better. Removes lots of parasites.
Bath in acriflavine (Ruby Reef Rally) helps both as antiseptic and antibiotic.
Then into copper ramped up to therapeutic levels within 24-48 hours. Lots of small regular doses spread out is far better for the fish than large doses. Plus you can watch for overly copper sensitive fish. Keep at therapeutic level for 30 days.

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fish have been in copper now for 3 weeks. I have not added anything to display tank since feb 28. I have been running lights for display tank because I have coral in there. Do you feel velvet should be gone in display tank? I was going to watch fish for 10 to 14 days after copper treatment. Copper has been checked with Hanna checker and has been at 2.0 or a little higher. I am using coppersafe. I just am afraid to put fish back and risk it all. Thanks for any help on the matter.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fish have been in copper now for 3 weeks. I have not added anything to display tank since feb 28. I have been running lights for display tank because I have coral in there. Do you feel velvet should be gone in display tank? I was going to watch fish for 10 to 14 days after copper treatment. Copper has been checked with Hanna checker and has been at 2.0 or a little higher. I am using coppersafe. I just am afraid to put fish back and risk it all. Thanks for any help on the matter.

Velvet is fallow for 6 weeks so you should be good. Ich is 76 days, so you would be covered there too.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still complete the full 30 days of copper treatment on your QT. Then observe for 14 days to make sure fish are "clean". Then place back in DT if all is well.

Your DT should definitely be good for sure, so long as there was not cross contamination between the QT/DT.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back