Marineland 125g reef ready vs. Red Sea reefer 750

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to set up a 6 foot tank in my living room (first saltwater setup) and am trying to decide between getting a Marineland 125g reef ready tank with stand and the wood canopy top for it, or getting a Red Sea Reefer 750. The marineland will run me around $1800 for the tank, stand and canopy, while the Reefer will run around $4300 - though I know there’s additional things included with it.

I guess the primary concern I would have in getting the Marineland is that with the wood canopy it comes with, I’d have to use strip lights, which I don’t have a problem with, but are some of the higher end strip lights bright enough for corals? I’d like to eventually get an anemone and potentially a clam, I’m not 100% sure on corals but I wouldn’t want to be limited in the future due to the light I have. I’m fine with doing multiple strip lights, if that would raise it, but this is a very tall tank so it would need a lot to get high PAR levels. I was looking at the Reef Brite and the Current USA strip lights. Would you say two strip lights of either of these would be sufficient lighting?

I like the look of the Marineland with the wooden canopy top and obviously the price is quite a bit better. However having a sump and auto top off, as well as being completely plumbed, is nice. What do you think the better approach is between the two?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the difference in quality. Marineland tanks are known to not be the greatest quality. As long as you can inspect the seams prior to ownership, I’d go for it. That 125 has two drains?

I think the Red Sea is more because of the quality. There is something to be said for that. But it is expensive.

OP
OP
A

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the difference in quality. Marineland tanks are known to not be the greatest quality. As long as you can inspect the seams prior to ownership, I’d go for it. That 125 has two drains?

I think the Red Sea is more because of the quality. There is something to be said for that. But it is expensive.
That’s what I was considering too, I plan on this being my primary tank for a long time, so I was wondering if it would be worth splurging a bit to get a better quality and better looking display. But yes the Marineland has one in each corner of the tank.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was considering too, I plan on this being my primary tank for a long time, so I was wondering if it would be worth splurging a bit to get a better quality and better looking display. But yes the Marineland has one in each corner of the tank.
If you have the money go with the better quality tank. Just my 2 cents.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a marineland 125 reef ready tank. Like everyone else I had my doubt. got it home withut paying. leveled stand in my garage. then put the tank on the stand. firssst noticed that one of the corner overflows wasn't sealed. that was an easy fix. then I filled it. did a waer test for a week. no leaks. then I went ahead and paid for it after that for the price they wanted. $350, been in use for almost 2 years now. no issues with the tank and stand itself. i did how ever just ran across an issue with the drain pipe in one of the corner overflow. it seems that all of a sudden the past 2 months when I do an wc air gets in the line r something and that side doesn't want to drain into the sump. so i take the pipe out I have it adjustable. so i can just take it apart real quick and then put it back together and it runs fine. I may have to redo the drain pipe on that side. which if I do no big deal ill do it a little different. and also redo my plumbing underneath and add a uv sterilizer that i have but never added it to the plumbing...

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out sca aquriums, they got nice stuff, looks like it’s inbetween what prices u have

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hearing about Red Sea having a lot of problems with them leaking. not sure why 100% it would be the leveling of tank or the company but whatever it is I though it would be thoughtful to know!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're going to spend 4300 I'd go with the Innovative Marine 200g. Take advantage of that 30" width. It's a better made tank imo and has an aluminum stand.

If Marineland go with the 180g at around 2k

The quality aspect is way overblown. My friend picked up a 180g a few months ago & it's very nice.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back