Marinepure and ceramic media with Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several ICP test results my lithium and silicon levels have been increasing and after ruling out the other possible causes of this problem the only thing left is a Marinepure plate and frag disks. Has anyone else used ceramic type media and run into the same problem?

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Randy rightly says lots of people in the US "suffer" with elevated Lithium levels which is due to a lot to the salt mixes. Seeing these analysis come in with repeatedly high readings in otherwise thriving reef tanks has shown us that there are no obvious signs of damage caused by these high levels.

Some biological media can release Silicon.

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high were the levels?

Lots of people have elevated lithium from their salt mix (which is no issue, IMO). :)
Yes i am aware of the so called salt issue i am using the tropicmarin pro salt and have not done any water changes and both the lithium and silicon is rising.
i am down to 1 possible cause that i can control ceramic media(M*****p***). LI=559 and SI=510 from previous icp test LI=457 and SI=133

Last edited:
OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Randy rightly says lots of people in the US "suffer" with elevated Lithium levels which is due to a lot to the salt mixes. Seeing these analysis come in with repeatedly high readings in otherwise thriving reef tanks has shown us that there are no obvious signs of damage caused by these high levels.

Some biological media can release Silicon.

do you know if the some "plate" type biological media have been known to release Silicon?

i have a very minimalistic tank and the ceramic media makes up for 1/3 of my biological surface and i am just trying to avoid a crash by pulling out that much media at once any recommendations? on how to eliminate the ceramic media and avoid such a drastic change

Last edited:

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount released is usually finite and usually only for the first month or two, it may also be coming from your RO/DI supply.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i am aware of the so called salt issue i am using the tropicmarin pro salt and have not done any water changes and both the lithium and silicon is rising.
i am down to 1 possible cause that i can control ceramic media(M*****p***). LI=559 and SI=510 from previous icp test LI=457 and SI=133

I don't consider either of those any problem. My lithium was 353 ug/L and silicon was 50 ug/L, despite regularly dosing up to 200 ug/L and letting it get consumed. :)

Someone recently sent in some Tropic Marin salt and found about 200 ug/L for lithium, so it may not explain all your elevated levels.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lithium.260578/#post-3094452

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount released is usually finite and usually only for the first month or two, it may also be coming from your RO/DI supply.
The plates are in the system over 9 months, The water has not been changed and the ro/di is top notch (well maintained and monitored at 3 points with 0 tds ) and only has been used for top off . Is it common for the SI=133 to jump SI=510 over 3 months of topoff ? i am just scratching my head and a bit concerned about the SI=510 level as i lost half of my acro's to STN over the last 60 days. Should i get ICP test for just my RO ? What would be the best method of elimination of cause for the elevated SI levels?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plates are in the system over 9 months, The water has not been changed and the ro/di is top notch (well maintained and monitored at 3 points with 0 tds ) and only has been used for top off . Is it common for the SI=133 to jump SI=510 over 3 months of topoff ? i am just scratching my head and a bit concerned about the SI=510 level as i lost half of my acro's to STN over the last 60 days. Should i get ICP test for just my RO ? What would be the best method of elimination of cause for the elevated SI levels?

A second DI, and replacing them as soon as the DI effluent rises to 1 ppm TDS.

That said, unless you have a diatom problem, silicate isn't harmful. :)

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response and come to think about it i have been battling red slime over the summer months where the temps go from 79 to 81 in addition i put my chiller on line for that period which uses 2 pieces of silicon tubing for connection. would the SI that high cause red slime outbreak or the temp rise or both you think and the 2 pieces of tubing might be the attribute to the elevated SI?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response and come to think about it i have been battling red slime over the summer months where the temps go from 79 to 81 in addition i put my chiller on line for that period which uses 2 pieces of silicon tubing for connection. would the SI that high cause red slime outbreak or the temp rise or both you think and the 2 pieces of tubing might be the attribute to the elevated SI?

Silicone tubing does not boost silicate in the water. Silicate is not used by cyanobacteria. So unless what you are seeing is diatoms, the silicate in the water isn't boosting it. Temps certainly might have effects for many reasons.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as everything is doin good u shouldnt have 2 worry our tanks shows us signs if somethings wrong just by lookin at at it

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update about this? I am looking to install a 260g with triton and use marinepure media and I just want to know everything about this before install

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it pinned down to either MP or super glue. I haven't changed any water at all in over 5 months. My MP is a little over a year old. I'm running a 5 stage ro/DI with 3 canisters of mixed bed DI piggybacked. And my LI keeps rising. On the flip side, my 3 year old MP in another system, also no water changes in a few months, is still elevated, but not nearly as much as my newer system. It takes awhile to exhaust itself.

Personally knowing what I know now, aluminum especially, I would not do it again.

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have upgraded to 3 di resin canisters and just finished the 6 x 15% water changes as per Triton recommendation now sending icp test. If i had to do it again i would not use MP until there really would be a need for it in my system and at that point still would consider MM or Live rock over MP. i am no expert but i would try as natural as possible.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a lot more rock to equal the surface area in MP. Replace the MP with AF Life Bio Fil; looks like pumice, maybe a little more natural than MP.
MP has been implicated in increased Al. I find it to be physically very delicate and don't like the litter all over the sump.

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey i have the same problem and i use M****P*** excessively. Did the level go down over time?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back